Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Output particle strip is missing, distortion trails

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Bordeaux_Fox, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Hi,

I cannot find the Output for particle strip in the VFX graph. The only way to get it is to create a trail system and copy it. Also, is there no lit and distortion version of trails? I'm looking for a way to make trails with normal maps and distortion.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    FlightOfOne likes this.
  2. Crouching-Tuna

Crouching-Tuna

Have you checked Enable Preview nodes in ProjectSetting/Preference?

And then, you have to click the Initialize block then see in the inspector, change the type to ParticleStrips
    There is distortion/displacement strips output too

TheDeveloper10 and Bordeaux_Fox like this.
  3. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Thank you, I was totally not aware of this option and even that trails are still experimental. Guess I got fooled again by hidden Unity settings and features.

4. GenesisCry

GenesisCry

Hi,

I also have a question about a missing node in the VFX Graph. I'm looking for the Output Particle Distortion Quad node but it seems to be missing when I look it up in the VFX graph. I have the "Experimental Operators/Blocks" enabled in my preferences but I don't find the "Enable Preview" option in the Project Setting/Preference. Any idea how I can retrieve this node?

5. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @GenesisCry, are you using HDRP or URP? Distortion is an HDRP-specific feature.

6. SBliznitsov

SBliznitsov

Hi. Сan i create distortion effect in VFX Graph on URP?

7. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Not a built-in distortion as with HDRP, but depending on your needs you might be able to do something similar using the VFX ShaderGraph integration:

You need to use the Visual Effect Shader Graph master node in Shader Graph and enable the experimental operators/blocks in Preferences/Visual Effects. Attached is a sample vfx/shader. I believe the URP Scene Color texture only works for objects which write to depth, so you may not be able to distort transparent objects in the scene.

Also please be advised that the URP integration for the VFX graph is still being worked on and it's not production ready (and neither is mobile support, in case you are aiming at targeting mobile devices).

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

giraffe1, diegoossal, andybak and 4 others like this.
  8. SBliznitsov

SBliznitsov

VladVNeykov likes this.
  9. TheDeveloper10

TheDeveloper10

thanks mate