Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Object Jumps to New Position When Implementing Script

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by trlewi, Nov 27, 2017.

1. trlewi

trlewi

So I am fairly new to C# and Unity and working on a little starter project. So I have this simple script that I put together to drag an object across the screen (on the x axis only) which I have gotten to work.

But I do have this one issue I just can't figure out. I press run and the first click on the object causes the object to jump to a new position a bit lower on the x axis than it's original position. What am i doing wrong!?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class DragScript : MonoBehaviour {
    4.     public float distance = 10;
    5.     public float yPosition = 1f;
    7.     void OnMouseDrag() {
    8.         Vector3 mousePosition = new Vector3 (Input.mousePosition.x, yPosition, distance);
    9.         Vector3 objPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint (mousePosition);
    11.         transform.position = objPosition;
    12.     }
    13. }

2. QuinnWinters

QuinnWinters

Try this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class Drag : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     float distance = 10;
    4.     float yPosition = 1f;
    6.     void OnMouseDrag() {
    8.         //Calculate any difference between the objects world position and the mouses Screen position converted to a world point
    9.         Vector3 offset = transform.position - Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint (new Vector3 (Input.mousePosition.x, Input.mousePosition.y, 0));
    10.         //Keep track of the mouse position
    11.         Vector3 curScreenPoint = new Vector3 (Input.mousePosition.x, Input.mousePosition.y, distance);
    12.         //Convert the screen mouse position to world point and adjust with offset
    13.         Vector3 curPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint (curScreenPoint) + offset;
    15.         transform.position = new Vector3 (curPosition.x - offset.x, yPosition, distance);  //Update the position of the object in the world
    17.     }
    19. }

3. trlewi

trlewi

Thank you QuinnWinters, unfortunatley the object still jumps on he z axis and as well as higher on the y-axis. My code had it jumping a couple points lower on the y-axis.

4. methos5k

methos5k

Here you go:)
    Code (csharp):
    2. public float distance = 10;
    4.     void OnMouseDrag()
    5.     {
    6.         Vector3 mousePosition = new Vector3(Input.mousePosition.x, 0, distance);
    7.         Vector3 objPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(mousePosition);
    8.         objPosition.y = transform.position.y;
    9.         transform.position = objPosition;
    10.     }
    Previously, you had been setting the mouse position to a screen 'y' value of 1, which is the bottom of the screen.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  5. trlewi

trlewi

Hi @methos5k thank you for your response, I will try implementing your suggestion. It looks like you have set the value of y to 0, would this not make it jump to wherever "0" on the screen translates to. Or does the 0 mean no movement on the y-axis?

Sorry still learning and just trying to get a better understanding.

6. methos5k

methos5k

The y of 0 in my response just means you're not concerned with the y value.
    But if you see a little later, I do assign the y value something.

7. trlewi

trlewi

@methos5k Oh okay I think I see what you mean. You are not concerned with the y value of the mousePosition but are concerned with the y value of the object position which is set to equal the objects current set position.

Also got a chance to implement and it worked like a charm, thank you!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  8. methos5k

methos5k

Cool, np, you're welcome :)