Search Unity

[solved]No lighting on LOD models that are 1 and above.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by dahliacommunication67, Jan 12, 2019.

1. dahliacommunication67

dahliacommunication67

Just like the title says the a model will be lit, and the other LOD models do not receive lighting. Untitled1.png Untitled2.png Untitled3.png Untitled4.png

2. dahliacommunication67

dahliacommunication67

So far, i've placed light probes in the area, and although the light looks more natural, the flickering still appears. I don't have real time enabled, however, there is a base color that stays most of the time then the dynamic(but not realtime) bounced lighting that is the color that flickers, then on occastion both go off at the same time and re-appear on their own in different ways.

3. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe I'm not thinking of the right thing, but it seems like it should have nothing to do with LOD. I would think it relates specifically to the model / material that isn't getting lit.

I'm going to guess ... that you have the problem model on a layer that the light isn't lighting?

4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Are you sure you have your LODs setup correctly? If they are properly setup, you should not see any flickering or Z-fighting whatsoever after the bake has finished.

Please make sure that your LOD Group component is properly setup and culling works when selecting the object and moving the camera around in the edit mode.

5. dahliacommunication67

dahliacommunication67

To kristijonas_unity. After more experimentation it seems you are corect, the LOD just so happens to change when the lights do, as the screen shots i post show a lamp that has no LOD models and just one, and it flickers lighting. I've placed Light probes and reflection probes. It seems to only turn on and off by a specific distance. so the flickering is occuring because i'm moving back and forth.

So to narrow this problem down, its basically lights that are off completly when far away, and then "jump instant on" when at a specific distance (roughly 10 units/30 meters).
    Is that a realtime problem? when the lights are off can you notice that it looks like there are not even blue baked on to it like it should. The lighting configuration is a "Baked Light" and a "Realtime Light" so mixed lighting. be even just baked lighting it is the same issue. Because of the distance being a trigger, i think its likely it is an optimization feature somewhere that im not properly utilizing.

Attached Files:

6. dahliacommunication67

dahliacommunication67

Using an Area light it seems to show that there is something off about that area. The ground is two streets objects, just 3d boxes with textures. I'm thinking that there is some kind of information that isn't being established in the editor that the lighting should blend and not stop it self. This is interesting problem i haven't found in any of the documentation provided by unity.

Attached Files:

7. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Seems like something is wrong with clustering in that area. Could you attach this project to the thread so that we could take a look?

Also, it is highly recommended that you'd settle on one way of lighting your environment, be it Realtime GI or Baked GI. Using both is expensive performance-wise and can sometimes cause trouble.

8. dahliacommunication67

dahliacommunication67

The ultimate finished product will be for mobile which is realistically two years down the road. What i'm doing now is launching with little optimizations on the PC/MAC/LINUX in the Beta stage. As the years go on and things improve i plan on doing a Mobile and Low-end desktop version. So I guess you could say is I'm casting a huge net that works in stages.

First stage is to appeal to big money players with high-end graphics cards 1050ti or above at launch. As less complaints are submitted and more optimizations are done for the big players and combined with the fact that they usually get bored quick too I move on to Medium to mobile quality optimizations and multiplayer support and smaller pricing structure to reflect the same target market pocket size.

In conclusion, right now, I'm maximizing the graphics looks while doing little optimizations as the customers pay more, the more work is done on optimizations(and or add-ons to the game if they prefer that more then optimized game). With all this being said, I'm not an expert on the baked or realtime gi, i usually just use both as it seems to be the best quality option. I would like to know more. If i can get publish a higher fps game-play by using baked GI and not realtime GI or any real-time lighting i will defiantly choose that route in order to provide a minimum GPU option for the customers and not just recommended GPU requirement of Nvidia 1050ti or above or similar in regards to AMD.

9. dahliacommunication67

dahliacommunication67

Also i did notice this, Light Probe Proxy volume... It deals with two but alternating textures and lighting, although the lighting artifacts in the photos does appear to be similar in the lamp area during gameplay, could be a seperate issue though. im waiting on a light render now to see if it help relieve the issue.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-LightProbeProxyVolume.html

and I have re-computed light probes and place more light probes in the area as there was only a few and there was improvement of quality when the light appears, however the light disappears and its black like in the screen shot. I also turned off realtime everything and it still exact issue.

10. dahliacommunication67

dahliacommunication67

I removed the two street pieces and now it dosen't blink on and off... it only gets dimmer/brighter now... I guess maybe its the two lights fighting eachother?

11. dahliacommunication67

dahliacommunication67

So changing shadowmask shadow distance in the quality setting to zero has fixed everything.

hopeful likes this.