Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Multiple build targets with Collaborate

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by pccross, Jul 30, 2019.

1. pccross

pccross

Saw user Tikkub on Reddit had posted this workflow (below) for multiple build targets.
    Is this possible with Collaborate? From what I've seen, it doesn't seem feasible on one PC, as Collaborate seems to keep track whether a cloud project resides on your system, therefore it may not be possible to keep another copy of the same project with different project folder name. Can someone verify?
    Reason I need this is because it's taking 2 hours to switch platform from PC to Android, and I just can't wait that long.

Quote from Tikkub:
    "What i did is to have one folder (But same repository) for each platform of the project:
    • Rename the current project folder "ProjectXXX_Platform1"

• Clone the project repository in another folder called "ProjectXXX_Platform2"
    Then you work on the project ProjectXXX_Platform1. You commit your changes. You compile for platform 1. You open the other project ProjectXXX_Platform2. You pull the changes and you compile for platform 2.

No need to switch the platform anymore. Just switch between Unity Projects. It's simple, fast, scalable and no need for third party tool. You just need space on your hard drive :)"

serphon likes this.
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @pccross, yes, this workflow is totally possible using Collaborate. The Hub tries to streamline the experience of downloading from the Cloud by only having one instance of a project listed at a time. But you can work around that by manually changing the name of the folder you downloaded your project too, like adding the Platform name as a suffix. This way the Hub will lose track of the download folder and allow you to re-download the project.

After that, since the build platform isn't a setting that Collaborate can sync, you can push all of your changes from one instance of your project to the next without worrying about your target platform changing. I hope this helps to streamline your workflow.

3. pccross

pccross

Appreciate the quick response, Ryan. I've tested and this seems to work well for my workflow. Thanks again!

Ryan-Unity likes this.