Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED]Link OpenGL to NVIDIA proprietary

Discussion in 'Linux' started by earthastronaut, May 12, 2018.

1. earthastronaut

earthastronaut

I get only 25 FPS when running unity and my CPU goes crazy and throttles all the time. I have installed nvidia proprietary drivers on arch linux but they seem not to be linked to OpenGL. When I write:
    glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version" in terminal I get: "OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.3". Is there any way that I can use my GPU instead of CPU?

Edit: I solved the problem by installing https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee
    Now I got 100 FPS :)
    My system has integrated and dedicated graphics. To run on the dedicated use
    primusrun nvidia-editor

Note: optimusrun nvidia-editor crashed on me. Also, previously when using the Mesa drivers I got crashes when minimizing unity-editor. So if you experience this use the nvidia proprietary drivers

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi earthastronaut,

That makes sense, the whole deal with bumblebee is that you have 2 gpu's with a hardware multiplexer connected to the same display. This allows your system to use the energy efficiency of the on-board gpu on the cpu and only use the power of the discrete nvidia gpu when that is required. But in order to do so, you need to install all the required drivers and utilities. Or else you only use the default on-board gpu on the cpu,as that uses the least energy.

The problem I have is different, there is an issue rendering the images after the program has been minimized. And I've tested this on 2 different systems, but they both have a single gpu. The issue I have only occurs on the nvidia system, not on the Intel.

I have yet to test the hypothesis that my desktop environment has something to do with it. :)