Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Issues with collaborate in 2018.1 (No Such Local File)

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by LegoDude, May 3, 2018.

1. LegoDude

LegoDude

Hello all,
    A friend and I have been working on a project for the last month or so, using unity's collaborate feature. However, as of yesterday, we both updated to 2018.1 and Collaborate no longer works, when trying to download the changes my friend makes, i just get the error saying "No Such Local File" here's a quick clip
    https://gyazo.com/1cd5320be47ae187f6db5cfc6c5015be
    The console also gives me this error

[Collab] FindChangedFile failed:
    Cannot find changed file UnityPackageManager/manifest.json -> Packages/manifest.json

any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Edit: Fixed it, for anyone else with the issue, Simply delete your project folder, then let unity redownload your project from the cloud, will automatically set it up correctly.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. ledlamp

ledlamp

I had the same issue and resolved it by moving UnityPackageManager/manifest.json to Packages/manifest.json and trying again.

3. ezonecom

ezonecom

Same thing happened here. I disabled Collaborate in the Services menu, quit Unity and then deleted the 'Library > Collab' directory in the project folder. Restarted Unity, re-enabled Collaborate, and everything worked.

4. mgrabner

mgrabner

ezonecom's solution worked. Thanks!

5. matches81

matches81

I ran into this issue just now... ezonecom's solution seems to get Collab into a different state, but the issue now is that the local version of my colleague has tons of "updates" on files he never touched, but I just commited.

Basically, after this experience (and a few others, less extreme ones) I'd say I better pray we never run into any conflicts again. Seems to be the conflict resolution in Collab is an absolute disaster and basically breaks the system.

6. lumeneo

lumeneo

Still an issue in 2019.1.10

MaykeBr likes this.
  7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @lumeneo, have you tried ezonecom's solution to see if that worked for you?

8. nmerkas

nmerkas

Also tried @ezonecom's solution, but it still throws this error and doesn't work. Also a lot of other bugs appeared, trying to fix this.

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @nmerkas, could you go into more detail about what errors you're seeing? Also, which version of Unity and Collaborate are you using?

10. lumeneo

lumeneo

Yeah- I tried:
    "disabled Collaborate in the Services menu, quit Unity and then deleted the 'Library > Collab' directory in the project folder. Restarted Unity, re-enabled Collaborate,"

I ended up deleting the local copy, and downloading it from Collab. I _think_ that solved it.

11. TrollAxeThrower

TrollAxeThrower

I did ezoncom's solution and it worked.

12. jaraen

jaraen

IMHO this shouldn't be marked as solved, since reimporting the whole project is not a real solution for the mentioned issue. We have this issue in a several GBs project from time to time, and it's a real PITA. Downloading a large project from Collab fails quite often and can be very slow, no matter the internet connection (maybe because we connect from Europe?).

@ryanc-unity any chance to create a ticket for this issue in the bug tracker or find a workaround? thanks!

EDIT: Also, worths mention that reimporting the project would not include local changes

Nerzana likes this.
  13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @jaraen, I understand your frustration, especially for larger projects. We would be willing to investigate a support ticket for this issue once we could find a consistent way of reproducing it. Please let us know if you have found a good way to reproduce the problem so that we can better debug it on our end.

14. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

I ran into this same issue again with 2018.4+ and found that I could resolve it by just creating an empty file with the right name in the right place allowed collaborate to restore a previous version.

For example:
    Cannot find changed file Assets/Something/Somefile.cs.meta -> Assets/Something/SomethingElse.cs.meta
    I would just go to Assets/Something and create a new file "Somefile.cs.meta" and then try the "Go back to" again. It may have a different file listed this time, so I'd just rinse and repeat until it finally went through.

15. MobiusLoop

MobiusLoop

I got this issue by trying to roll a project back to a previous commit only for the editor to freeze half way through and become unresponsive, so had to kill it from the task manager.

Reloading the Unity Editor and then trying to re-roll back to the same commit then produced the "no such local file" error.

16. SunnyValleyStudio

SunnyValleyStudio

IU
    I really like that after 4 years nothing was done to prevent those errors and the solution is:
    "Simply create empty file with exact same name in the given folder" or "Delete the folder from HDD" - which worked for me.

17. kingkrayz

kingkrayz

Hello all, I have not tried any of the fixes yet but wanted to chime in and highlight that this issue is still present in version 2020.1.0f1 Not sure how I broke it thus not sure how to reproduce. The major tasks I did was duplicated a script and renamed it, Made changes to the duplicated script, saved, and accidentally deleted a prefab.
    Tried to recreate deleted prefab from the previous game object and when that failed, I tried to upload my current state first, in order to save my local changes, before I rolled back and that is when I received the error.

UPDATE: [Possible Solution]
    In trying Skotrap7 solution, I realized that none of my last actions I posted likely generated the error. Previously, I was tidying my project window and had moved Decrepit Dungeon folder into my 3rd party folder. This is such a routine task that I thought nothing of it. As I tried to create the missing files per Skotrap7 solution, it became obvious that all the files that were moved were going to be requested. I simply cut and pasted the folder back into the assets folder and collaborate updated with two new errors but I simply selected to keep my changes in the collaborate window and it worked. NOTE: I did move the folder outside of unity with file explorer... not sure if that mattered. Lastly, although I moved the folder back into assets, once everything was complete, the folder was automatically moved back into the previous folder. Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  18. koboldskeep

koboldskeep

Ran into this problem as well with 2018.4.30f1. Not looking forward to re-importing the whole thing, as the project is gigabytes in size. Has it been addressed in later Unity versions?

19. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

It looks like it has been addressed by Unity suggesting to not use Collaborate and move to Plastic SCM instead.

20. leegod

leegod

same problem at 2021.1.1f1

21. Monsterwald

Monsterwald

Same issue with 2020.3.1f1

22. noemis

noemis

Same issue with 2020.3.11f

23. SpringbokEnt

SpringbokEnt

Same issue with 202.3l11f on this end as well. We're moving to Github Thursday. Collaborate has slowed down and gotten so much worse, the last year especially.

24. arkhaeart

arkhaeart

Same issue in 2021.1.2f1, appeared after crash, which happened while switching between previous commits