Search Unity

[SOLVED] Isometric 3D animation

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by cheesewhite37, Feb 20, 2020.

1. cheesewhite37

cheesewhite37

Greetings,

I'm fairly new to unity, and currently developing and testing different games.

One such game is isometric, I've created and bone rigged a body in blender and animated (left, right, forward, backward animations and imported to unity), aswell as having character movement'. What would be the best approach for linking animation with movements. Currently I have one walking animation working, however, i'd like to change animation on direction (preferably through interpolation). I've tried searching online, however, there's very little comments about isometric design.

Many thanks!

2. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Personally, I completely disconnected them. I put my animated character as a child of the real character. This let me just move the character however I wanted, and the model just reacts to the environment.

For example, when my character starts running, the movement system doesn't tell it to do anything. The animation component detects that it's moving forward past a certain speed and alters the animation. This allows it to be far more reactive to the environment, and lean and duck and jump automatically.

3. cheesewhite37

cheesewhite37

Thanks, I solved the problem by simply creating an animation for each direction and using a blend tree with isometric-type parameters set up.

4. HopeEmbarked

HopeEmbarked

Can you give an example (I'm new)? Does this mean that all the physics go on the parent and the child has the model, textures, etc. as well as just an animator component? Do you then have to basically interact between the two in code?