Search Unity

[SOLVED] Is it possible to install the Oculus SDK without hitting the minimum specs for Oculus?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Chrysalis_Liam, May 10, 2019.

1. Chrysalis_Liam

Chrysalis_Liam

Hi there, I've been setting up my dev environment in anticipation of getting my Oculus Quest. Usually I work on very low spec games since my laptop isn't powerful (low-midrange 2015 Acer). For those use cases I've been able to manage just fine and have been excited to be able to develop for 6DoF VR on Quest, but I'm hitting a possible snag.

As far as I can tell, you can't install the Oculus SDK unless the Oculus application checks your hardware and confirms that it hits minimum specs for the Oculus Rift. If you don't have the required hardware you can't continue the setup process. Naturally, this would be an issue if I wanted to use a Rift on my laptop, but I just want to build Quest applications and I'm more than content to test them on the actual hardware.

So this is sort of a two part question;

1) Is there a way to install the Oculus SDK without hitting minimum specs for Rift? (To that end, am I making a mistake with my approach?)

2) For Oculus Go users, can you build Oculus Go applications without the SDK installed? (Building for Android with the Oculus XR settings checked?)

Thanks very much.
    -Liam

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, honestly I'm not sure what you're talking about. I do Go/Quest development just fine on my MacBook Pro. There is no "checking the hardware" step as far as I'm aware.

3. Chrysalis_Liam

Chrysalis_Liam

Thank you for posting! After reading your post it was clear I was doing something wrong, so I uninstalled and reinstalled everything involved and it instantly fixed everything, lol.

Honestly, I don't know why it didn't work in the first place and that lack of understanding (plus a misguided read of other forum posts) led to me trying to install the consumer Oculus software to fix my problem (when in fact the issue was something to do with Oculus Utilities or Unity not working totally properly?), which was that aforementioned inability to install because of weaker hardware.

Thank you, dude! Also, cool blog!

JoeStrout likes this.