Search Unity

[Solved] Invalid cast error (foreach loop)?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Josiah_Ironclad, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Josiah_Ironclad

Josiah_Ironclad

I've got this foreach loop:
    foreach (GameObject existingSlot in inventorySlots) {}

"inventorySlots" is a Transform reference to a UI object. The way I do the inventory system is each item generates its own slot, rather than having a set number of slots which then get filled (this is purely for aesthetic purposes).

When I pick up the first item, it just gets generated inside a slot (which also gets generated right beforehand, and is a child of inventorySlots) like it should. And when I pick up the same item again, the code in that foreach loop should do other stuff.

Currently whenever I pick up a second item, the console spits out "InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid." and points to that foreach line.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. Brathnann

Brathnann

It's usually helpful to just post the script along with describing your problem, but if inventorySlots is a collection of transforms, then telling it to loop through with GameObject would be your error. But then it sounds like inventorySlots is just a single transform and you're trying to loop through it's children?

Josiah_Ironclad likes this.
  3. Josiah_Ironclad

Josiah_Ironclad

Yes.

4. Josiah_Ironclad

Josiah_Ironclad

Oh! It was because I was trying to loop through GameObject rather than Transform. (regardless of whether the parent was a collection of, or a single transform). Thanks!

5. Brathnann

Brathnann

Yep, you got it!

6. kirigaya552

kirigaya552

yo thanks for helping i was doing the same thing hahahha