Search Unity

[SOLVED]I can't build big palace ?

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by Quast, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Quast

Quast

I'm trying to build something big like palace or Egypt pyramid. Always blender gets freezing because the high number of clubs and plane.So, can't continue my work !!.

Do i need to change blender, try other programs ?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You need to learn to model properly, especially for realtime 3D. If it won't work in Blender then there's less than no chance that it would work in Unity. Blender can handle millions of polygons without issues; a pyramid for a game engine should be a tiny fraction of that. e.g., if you're doing lots of tiny details with modeling, use normal maps instead.

--Eric

3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Yeah, Blender's editor can handle way more polys than Unity's can(because Unity is doing much more with it than Blender usually). Are you using high levels of subsurf? Massive amounts of Boolean modifiers? Going by the bar at the top, how many polys do you get before it freezes? Lastly, how much RAM does your computer have? I've had Blender 32bit freeze on me in the past, but only with terrain I was making, way too subdivided for realtime. And the solution was to switch to 64-bit Blender so it could access all of my RAM, it the problem disappeared entirely. I worry you are doing something wrong, and I don't know if it is a high amount of geometry in those cubes and planes, or something else.

4. Quast

Quast

My PC [16 ram - 64bits - processor 3930k - GTX 680 4GB]
    When i reach 8k cube or object it start to be very slow.

How to speed up blender performance ?

5. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I think that is your problem....8K objects. The actual amount of geometry isn't bad at all, it's only a little over 100,000 verts. But you have 8K separate objects...that means you have much more than just the geometry involved here. If you need all those cubes, Blender should be fine...but you should add them in edit mode in a single object, not as 8K separate objects. I don't think your modelling technique of adding a bunch of cubes is going to work out good for you in the end either, but that is part of the learning process. But first things first, get into edit mode, and make/modify all your geometry there. Different objects are good for when you are going to separately move them, but when they are part of the same "thing" they should go together. Your whole temple should be all one object, or maybe a couple of them, but not 8K separate cubes.

6. Quast

Quast

Sorry, I'm kind new to Blender.
    I don't fully understand you. I thought my problem was with the performance setting.
    You mean here ? what to select ?

If you have a tutorial explain your point please post it.

7. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

No, it isn't a performance setting. What you have there is the modifier menu, and that isn't what you want either.

The best thing you can do to get it started...add a single cube, then, where it says "object mode" click, and then click on edit mode. At this point, you will be working on the geometry of the single object. Now, when you add cubes, etc... it will all be on the same object, and you shouldn't have all of those performance problems.

8. mave92

mave92

9. Quast

Quast

I can't see big different, still freezing. It barely handles 20k cubes. I'm not talking about million or half.
    Yes, I can do this. My plain is make something real. If blender could not handle this, I will make only two sides of pyramid and then duplicate it. But still blender freezing.

10. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Can you save the blend file, as far as you can get before it freezes? Maybe I can figure out what is causing it, as that small amount of geometry shouldn't cause this issue if you are actually in edit mode, adding the cubes on the same object.

11. Quast

Quast

12. mariusz

mariusz

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Quast likes this.
  13. Quast

Quast

Your method is good. But when it come to adjust or modify :confused:. I will try use it on other things.
    My plan was to control every pace of the pyramid. Blender....:mad:.

14. mariusz

mariusz

It depends on what do you need to control. If you need to manually control position of each cube, there's no another way.
    But if there are some rules on how they need to be set up, so then maybe you just need... Houdini :)

Quick example: 100k cubes scatered on torus with randomized Y rotation and R component of color (or anything else).

boxes_houdini.png

Quast likes this.
  15. mave92

mave92

I highly doubt that this stuff would run in realtime....

16. Cygon4

Cygon4

Not Blender, not Maya, not 3ds Max, not anything else can handle such geometry.

Large Blender projects for movies use duplication by reference (Alt+D instead of Shift+D) and stand-in proxies (placeholders for objects linked from other .blend files).

But for video game projects, you should not create a wall by modeling each brick on its own.

A wall should be a single polygon. Details are added using textures. With normal maps and displacement maps, the bricks can look 3D, not just like a picture on the wall.

Quast likes this.
  17. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I looked at your file. You are still doing things in separate objects. I'm sure if you have that amount of polys in a single object, it will work fine, but you have 17700 different objects, each with only a cube of geometry. Each object carries an amount of baggage besides just the geometry, such as materials, transform information, and other Blender internal stuff, and you have duplicated all of that into 17700 different ones.

You need to make a single cube...then go into edit mode how I showed you above. You will see a slight difference in your GUI, as you will be only editing that single object, not the whole scene. Then, you can start duplicating that cube. It will only be on the one object that way,and you can have much more of it. Geometry is much cheaper than object overhead.

On the other hand, heed the advice of the above posters...this probably isn't the way you want to be doing this in the first place.

Quast likes this.
  18. Quast

Quast

Thank you so much for all these information.
    Yes. I was wrong. I though by duplicate cubes it works "Like Photoshop :oops:".
    After reading your comments and make some researches, I got it.
    Now i designed my pyramid and it looks perfect. Not only a pyramid but any kind i want ;).
    Just one thing is missing which is the texture. Yes, its a different point. but i don't want open new topic for it.

Why the texture lose it quality when i change the size or shrank the face of the cube ? I need the texture to fit cube face.

Again, Thank you guys :).

19. Cygon4

Cygon4

Each polygon has its own texture coordinates. These control which part of the texture is shown on the polygon.

Try entering edit mode (Tab), then face selection mode (Ctrl+Tab) and then click the sides of your cube.
    You'll see the texture coordinates on the right (and you can move them around).

Move them like this and the texture should look good again:

texture-coordinates.png

You can also move texture coordinates outside of your image.
    Having texture coordinates twice as big as the image will repeat the image 2 times.

Good luck! :D

Quast likes this.
  20. Quast

Quast

Excellent.
    Thank you so much Cygon4.
    [Solved]