Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile [SOLVED] Huge normal map issues! (F1)

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by Shushustorm, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Hello!

__
    EDIT 2:
    This is still happening in F1.
    __

__
    EDIT:
    This is still happening in B25.
    __

Case number: 810796

I am experiencing extraordinarily bad normal map quality on iOS.
    In the Editor, everything is fine, but after running a build on an iOS device, I will get a very low-res normal map.
    The "Default" settings of the normal map are set to 2048px, with none of the platform’s override settings activated.

Here are some screenshots:

Editor:
    01_Editor.jpg

iOS:
    02_iOS.jpg

iOS without normal map:
    03_iOS_no_normals.jpg

Greetings,
    Shu

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Also, here are screenshots from the attached sample project:

Editor:
    04_Editor.jpg

iOS:
    06_iOS.jpg

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Just letting you know: The issue is still present in the first release candidate (5.4.0F1).

4. bgolus

bgolus

It doesn't look like its lower resolution, it looks like on the PC it's being scaled and on iOS it's not. Do you have a texture scaling factor on your material?

Shushustorm likes this.
  5. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@bgolus
    Well, it seems the tiling isn't the problem here (That's what you were talking about, right?):

editor.jpg

ios.jpg

materials.jpg

I am using completely ordinary standard materials. It's really nothing fancy. How can this be a problem?

6. bgolus

bgolus

iOS (and mobile in general) use an optimized version of the standard shader. Even in its basic form it's actually too complex for mobile to render. One of those optimizations is to fresnel, on PC it's a dot product to the power of 5, and on iOS it's a dot product to the power of 4. That probably doesn't mean anything to you but the result is that increased brightness on iOS.

Shushustorm likes this.
  7. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

But this optimization has been there ever since the standard shader has been introduced, right?
    Because I haven't had this issue before when using the standard shader on iOS.
    Also, I don't think it's brighter per se on iOS. It's just more "chunky", less detailed and bumpier.
    When you take a look at the screenshots, compare the areas that are further away from the camera.
    There, I think it is very obvious that there is some wrong scaling / tiling / resolution going on when building for iOS.

8. theprotonfactor

theprotonfactor

Likely, but it could be a related optimization issue though, because Unity make changes to mobile shader optimizations every so often. Have to agree with bgolus on the issue of resolution, low resolution normal maps don't have very detailed bumps and they're artifact prone. On looking at the final screenshot I'm going to say it might be a lighting issue rather than normal map bug. Really weird.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Shushustorm likes this.
  9. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

This seems to be solved by just changing the quality settings.
    I wasn't aware that you would have to change the green highlight in the quality settings to set a new quality for the current platform. (New behaviour since 5.3.x? Because I haven't had issues like that before.)

Here are some screenshots showing different quality settings:

Editor:
    editor.jpg

iOS simple:
    ios simple.jpg

iOS fantastic:
    ios fantastic_.jpg