Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're running great holiday deals on subscriptions, swag and Asset Store packages! Take a peek at this blog for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out our Unite Austin 2017 YouTube playlist to catch up on what you missed. More videos coming soon.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] How Do I Turn OFF Collaborate in Unity

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by JoeyTribbiani, Feb 28, 2017.

1. JoeyTribbiani

JoeyTribbiani

I somehow wanted to try out this collaborate feature in Unity in one of my current project.
    However I find it taking up too much resources and performs slowly when the Internet Condition is unstable.
    Plus my team and I also use the Git for version control on the side, so I decided to turn this feature off in my project.
    But I couldn't find any button or option menu to toggle this off.
    Is there anyone who knows how to turn this off?
    Thanks!

2. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @JoeyTribbiani! To turn off Collaborate, open the Services Window and click on the Collaborate option in the menu.
    Snip20170228_23.png

From there, on the Collaborate service menu, click on the blue toggle button in the top right to turn off Collaborate.
    Snip20170228_24.png

Thanks for giving Collaborate a try!

3. JoeyTribbiani

JoeyTribbiani

Thank you, ryanc! I'll definitely try it again later.

ryanc-unity likes this.
  4. schmosef

schmosef

@ryanc-unity, Maybe you can help me with this issue:

I bought an asset that's in the "complete projects/templates" category.

The asset publisher used Unity Collaborate in his development.

I don't use Unity Collaborate (yet). I host my own SVN server.

After importing the asset into an empty project, I cannot set the Editor Settings>Meta Files to "visible". It's greyed out with a message saying "Version Control not available when using Collaboration feature."

But since I'm not authorized on the Unity Collaborate project, when I open the Unity Services tab, I don't see any options for turning off Collaborate.

So, since I cannot turn off Unity Collaborate, I cannot make the setting changes needed to add this project to my svn repo.

I'm using Unity 5.6.0p3.

Any suggestions?

Unity Services Tab.png

5. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @schmosef! I'll be happy to help however I can!

No worries about not using Collaborate yet. Use whichever method works best for you.

Could you tell me the name of the asset that you purchased from the Asset Store? I'd like to try to repro this issue on my machine too. We definitely don't want to keep users that download sample projects from the Store to not be able to modify their Editor Settings if they choose to not use Collaborate.

For now, you should be able to unblock yourself by doing the following:
    1) Go into your ProjectSettings folder for your project.
    2) Open your EditorSettings.asset file and look for "m_ExternalVersionControlSupport:".
    3) Replace the string that's next to it with "Visible Meta Files" (since you said you wanted them to be visible) and Save.

4) Open your ProjectSettings.asset file and look for "cloudServicesEnabled:".
    5) Underneath that option, double check that next to "Collab:" is 0 and not 1.

Let me know if you're able to modify your Editor Settings inside of the Editor after doing the above.

EDIT: Steps 2 and 3 aren't needed to let you edit your Editor Settings again.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    schmosef likes this.
  6. schmosef

schmosef

Hi @ryanc-unity,

Thank you for the assistance.

Here's the asset in question: link

I'll try your workaround later tonight. Looks promising.

7. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks @ryanc-unity!

Just tested your workaround and it fixed my issue. I can now modify my Editor Settings.

ryanc-unity likes this.
  8. Alex_curiscope

Alex_curiscope

This has just happened to us (in 5.5.0f3), after importing an asset from an artist working in a separate project with Collab enabled into a project with Collab disabled. @ryanc-unity This seems like a bug to me (several bugs: the Collab setting is just a bool in the settings asset and could be changed by anything; some asset files seem to be locked in this scenario; users are unable to disable collab from the editor unless they have services access).

9. Alex_curiscope

Alex_curiscope

Update: asset files being locked was not occurring / red herring.

10. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Alex_curiscope! Thank you for bringing this bug to our attention. We will be looking into this issue.

Was the asset from the artist part of a .unitypackage? If Collab is unintentionally turned on after importing an asset, following the below steps will turn Collab Off until we get our fix in:
    2) Open your ProjectSettings.asset file and look for "cloudServicesEnabled:".
    3) Underneath that option, double check that next to "Collab:" is 0 and not 1.

11. Alex_curiscope

Alex_curiscope

Hey Ryan :) Thanks! The asset was from an artist. Their project is using collab, but our main project isn't.

The confusing part of this was that some things were not being serialized in our project for some reason (we suspected that cache server was downloading stuff and overwriting our changes but we can't work out what was happening now). Anyway turning collab off in the settings asset fixed it, thanks again.

ryanc-unity likes this.
  12. mboylefls

mboylefls

I am having the same Issue...
    I am unable to open the project settings file..
    is there some sort of app to use for this?

1. @ryanc-unity, Maybe you can help me with this issue:

I bought an asset that's in the "complete projects/templates" category.

The asset publisher used Unity Collaborate in his development.

I don't use Unity Collaborate (yet). I host my own SVN server.

After importing the asset into an empty project, I cannot set the Editor Settings>Meta Files to "visible". It's greyed out with a message saying "Version Control not available when using Collaboration feature."

But since I'm not authorized on the Unity Collaborate project, when I open the Unity Services tab, I don't see any options for turning off Collaborate.

So, since I cannot turn off Unity Collaborate, I cannot make the setting changes needed to add this project to my svn repo.

I'm using Unity 5.6.0p3.

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. schmosef, May 2, 2017

4. ryanc-unity
      [​IMG]
      Unity Technologies
      Hi @schmosef! I'll be happy to help however I can!

No worries about not using Collaborate yet. Use whichever method works best for you.

Could you tell me the name of the asset that you purchased from the Asset Store? I'd like to try to repro this issue on my machine too. We definitely don't want to keep users that download sample projects from the Store to not be able to modify their Editor Settings if they choose to not use Collaborate.

For now, you should be able to unblock yourself by doing the following:
      2) Open your EditorSettings.asset file and look for "m_ExternalVersionControlSupport:".
      3) Replace the string that's next to it with "Visible Meta Files" (since you said you wanted them to be visible) and Save.
      4) Open your ProjectSettings.asset file and look for "cloudServicesEnabled:".
      5) Underneath that option, double check that next to "Collab:" is 0 and not 1.

Let me know if you're able to modify your Editor Settings inside of the Editor after doing the above.

EDIT: Steps 2 and 3 aren't needed to let you edit your Editor Settings again.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
      ryanc-unity, May 2, 2017

schmosef likes this.

13. schmosef

schmosef

notepad.exe :)

ryanc-unity likes this.
  14. iamsiannoob

iamsiannoob

When I change collab to 0, Unity says cannot disable Collaborate and checks for changes again.

When I try to disable collaborate in the Unity Services tab, the slider briefly appears and dissapears. I managed to click it fast enough but it also says that I cannot disable Collaborate.

15. schmosef

schmosef

I just had to use the technique again for a different Unity asset. Works fine.

@iamsiannoob, I'm not sure what you mean by "checks for changes again". Are you trying to edit the ProjectSettings.asset file while the project is open in Unity?

ryanc-unity likes this.
  16. Unity3D_Tim

Unity3D_Tim