Search Unity

[SOLVED] Help with Rotation Script

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Ricardo_Reis, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Ricardo_Reis

Ricardo_Reis

Hey guys!
    So I'm building a controller and it's been working fine, today I decided to limit the Vertical rotation and I've been the past 4 hours stuck with a problem. Here's my code:

using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

public class LookY : MonoBehaviour
    {
    [SerializeField]
    private float _sensitivity = 1f;

void Start ()
    {

}

void Update ()
    {
    float _mouseY = Input.GetAxis("Mouse Y");
    Vector3 newRotation = transform.localEulerAngles;
    newRotation.x -= _mouseY * _sensitivity;/*
    newRotation.x = Mathf.Clamp(newRotation.x, -80, 80);*/
    Debug.Log(newRotation.x);
    transform.localEulerAngles = newRotation;

}
    }

Now the line of code in comment, theoretically, should work, however there's a problem.
    For some reason the rotation I use is not the same as the rotation in the inspector, and instead of, after going up from 0 going to negative values, it goes to 360 and decreases, this obviously makes the line incorrect as going up from 0 instantly drops the x rotation.
    My question is what can I do in this situation, is there a way to use the 180 system instead of 360 or do I have to go to Quaternions? If so could anyone give me some guidance?
    Thank you all in advance!

2. Plystire

Plystire

First, you'll want to use [ code ] tags around your code. That keeps formatting and makes it easier to read. :)

Now, I think your issue is that you're wanting to use negative angles when the engine doesn't. You want to clamp the angle from 280 -> 360 -> 80, right? You could breakout your clamp into:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if (newRotation.x >= 180 && newRotation.x < 280)
    2.     newRotation.x = 280;
    3. else if (newRotation.x < 180 && newRotation.x > 80)
    4.     newRotation.x = 80;

Ricardo_Reis likes this.
  3. Ricardo_Reis

Ricardo_Reis

Thank you for the tip, I did see everyone else using some way to put code that way but I couldn't find how.

That worked!
    I actually thought of something like that, but I was under the impression that if s in Update would slow the game down considerably, but from what I've tested it doesn't seem so.
    Thank you a lot!

4. Plystire

Plystire

Glad to hear it!
    "If" blocks are pretty fast by themselves. It's what you're checking that could slow things down, and comparing values directly like this is very fast. I think the logic behind Clamp would look very similar to this too, save for checking which side of 180 you're on. ;)

Ricardo_Reis likes this.
  5. Ricardo_Reis

Ricardo_Reis

I always thought that checking every frame would totally kill my fps but you're right, haven't dropped much. I come from a programming background, however I was always afraid of using the basic things (ifs, fors, do whiles, etc) on Update as I thought that it'd slow the performance to a crawl, after checking that this example didn't, I'm beginning to apply this knowledge to help me with the game, including using a 'for' for (no pun intended) a smooth jump movement.
    I gotta say you opened my eyes to this, and for that that I thank you! :D