Search Unity

[SOLVED?] Have to Re-bake baked relfection probes everytime unity is started?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by ArachnidAnimal, Jul 12, 2015.

1. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I am using baked reflection probes. I bake the reflection probe, apply it to the mesh. I save unity and restart, but the reflection probe is not applied to the material. The probe needs to be re-baked.
    Is this expected behavior?
    I never noticed before that this needed to be re-baked every time unity is started.

1. Baked reflection probe is applied.

before.png

2. Save, quit and re-open scene:

after.png
    the probe needs to be re-baked.

Unity 5.1
    Thanks.

2. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

i just noticed I am getting an error message when attempting to bake the probe:

error.png

3. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

now i get this error when baking the ref probe:

error2.png

4. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

apparently the issue is that the scene was using an existing LightMap from a prior light bake. I deleted the light map, now the reflection probe shows up correctly everytime I start the scene. Apparently if there is a lightmap in the scene, baking a relfection probe individually does not cause the data to be used when opening the scene again.
    As far as the error messages, I dont know if they are related, but I suspect they are.

aweir likes this.
  5. huxley

huxley

Thanks so much for posting this solution! Every time I was playing my reflection probe i reverted back to empty, leaving all reflective shaders black. Clearing everything out and re rendering the scene did indeed fix this problem from me as well. Pity that scene renders now take the better part of a day with Unity 5 new baking system.

ArachnidAnimal likes this.
  6. spryx

spryx

Sounds like a bug to me. Might want to report this.