Search Unity

Solved: Google Play Store product prices are different from in-game prices

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by timrobin, Jan 7, 2021.

1. timrobin

timrobin

Hello! :) My name is Tim and I’m working at a company on a mobile game that is about to get releases globally (yay!)

However we are having some issues with price points of products in various countries and can’t seem to figure out what’s going on. I hope that you can maybe help me.

We are using Unity In App Purchasing 2.0.6. We realized that it’s not the current version, but it sounds as if the issue lies somewhere else, since Unity just seems to forward the details from the native code - I might be wrong.

We have various in app purchases configured in the google play console. They use templates which are set up like this:
    Default price: 220 SEK
    Local price: (Hong Kong) 468 HKD

At this point I would expect the in-app purchase to show up at 468 Hong Kong Dollars in the game - but what I get from UnityEngine.Purchasing.ProductMetadata.localizedPriceString is `HK$482.55`. And we just can’t find out where these additional 3.1% come from. It doesn’t seem related to the tax which is shown next to it, but the difference sounds like some tax that we are forgetting about or that we miss setting a checkbox for.

The issue affects other stores as well - just not our swedish or Euro-prices, which seem to be taken as-is. Some more examples:

South Korea
    Should: 65000 KRW
    Is: 67673 KRW
    Difference: ~4.1%

Taiwan
    Should: 3380 TWD
    Is: 3430.86 TWD
    Difference: ~1.5%

I would be very grateful for some guidance into what the issue could be, so the prices in the game end up like we configure them somewhere.

Thank you very much! :)

2. timrobin

timrobin

We figured it out ourselves :)

For future readers: The issue was that we were not live in any form in the countries in question, not even for friends and family. Releasing the app for friends and family would show the correct prices.

After more testing we noticed that changing the local prices in the pricing templates for South Korea, Taiwan or Hong Kong would not change the prices in-game, BUT changing the default price would immediately show updated prices (sometimes not immediately in the app itself, but in the native payment confirmation dialogue).
    Further we figured out that if we unlink the pricing template and set the prices directly, we would not see most of the countries - but only the aforementioned European countries. Changing the prices in there would also update the prices in-game.

We then figured out that the European countries in the list were the countries for which we had enabled friends&family. So after allowing f&f globally, we finally would magically see the prices used as configured in the pricing template.
    Hope this helps a future soul and good luck :)

nicholasr and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  3. RINNUXEI

RINNUXEI

Hello, we have a similar problem.
    What do you mean by enable friend and family?
    Thank you.

4. timrobin

timrobin

Hi! In the Google Play Console under "Testing" we have a "Closed Testing" track called Friends&Family, should have mentioned that. I assume you can also push your app to the "Alpha" or "Beta" track of the closed testing group, but I assume you have to push it to at least one of them to make it available. Hope that helps!

RINNUXEI and nicholasr like this.
  5. RINNUXEI

RINNUXEI

We solved the problem by releasing to alpha track instead of internal test.
    Thank you!!