Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

[SOLVED] GetGomponent throws NullReferenceException only in standalone build

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by the_mr_matt, Aug 16, 2019.

1. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

I'm having a very frustrating issue with GetComponent().

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Show()
    2. {
    3.    var transition = GetComponent<TransitionAnimation>();
    5.    Debug.Log($"Transition: {transition}");
    6.    transition?.FadeIn();
    7. }
    In the editor, this works just fine. Transition is not null and FadeIn() is called and no errors are shown. In the standalone build, GetComponent() returns null, has a little hissy fit and throws a NullReferenceException, and execution stops before it can even print transition to the console.

This is the output from the log file.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Uploading Crash Report
    2. NullReferenceException
    3.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject(UnityEngine.Component)
    4.   at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentInChildren (System.Type t, System.Boolean includeInactive) [0x00001] in <e314adc5a7494b5f8760be75461a94d4>:0
    5.   at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentInChildren[T] (System.Boolean includeInactive) [0x00001] in <e314adc5a7494b5f8760be75461a94d4>:0
    6.   at Winglett.RR.UI.Gradient.Show () [0x00001] in /Users/redacted/Documents/repos/radical-relocation/Assets/_Core/Scripts/UI/Gradient.cs:63
    7.   at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void()
    8.   at Winglett.RR.Gameplay.GameState.SetPause () [0x00001] in /Users/redacted/Documents/repos/radical-relocation/Assets/_Core/Scripts/Gameplay/GameState.cs:46
    9.   at Winglett.RR.Gameplay.GameState.SetPause_STATIC () [0x00000] in /Users/redacted/Documents/repos/radical- relocation/Assets/_Core/Scripts/Gameplay/GameState.cs:70
    10.   at Winglett.RR.UI.Wrapper.SetGameStatePause () [0x00000] in /Users/redacted/Documents/repos/radical-relocation/Assets/_Core/Playground/ui/Wrapper.cs:27
    11.   at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke () [0x00011] in <e314adc5a7494b5f8760be75461a94d4>:0
    12.   at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00023] in <e314adc5a7494b5f8760be75461a94d4>:0
    13.   at Winglett.RR.Utils.ESCButton.Update () [0x00026] in /Users/redacted/Documents/repos/radical-relocation/Assets/_Core/Scripts/Utilities/Other/ESCButton.cs:21
    I wondered if the issue might be because the gameobject is disabled. So I tried GetComponentInChildren<TransitionAnimation>(true); where true is an overload for inactive gameobjects. This didn't change anything.

I also found this which suggested the gameobject might be destroyed. However, I've been very careful with unsubscribing from events so this shouldn't be an issue.
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/1305222/nullreferenceexception-from-within-getcomponent.html

2. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

Try explicitly checking for null. MonoBehaviours don't support the shortcut operators, per the docs: This class doesn't support the null-conditional operator (?.) and the null-coalescing operator (??).

3. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

The NullReferenceException is occurring on line 3 of that snippet. It doesn't even reach the ? operator.

4. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If GetComponent doesn't find the component it just returns null. It doesn't generate a NullRef error. I suspect the GameObject doesn't actually exist. Are you using DestroyImmediate anywhere? I'm confused how you're even accessing the Gradiient component on an object which no longer exists, as I thought all component references would also get set to null as soon as the object is destroyed (when destroyed through normal Destroy).

6. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

From my stack exchange question:

sinaari likes this.