Search Unity

[Solved] Get Handle to OpenGL Unity Render Context

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Oninova, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Oninova

Oninova

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a handle to the opengl unity render context. I need to create a texture in a external application and render it in Unity using Texture2D.CreateExternalTexture(). When I create the texture in my external application I get a texture id of 1, which seems wrong. I'm guessing its because it has its own render context and does not share a texture pool with Unity. I could be totally wrong about this because I'm a bit of a OpenGL noob. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Oninova

Oninova

I was able to grab the handle to the opengl unity render context by using a low-level native plugin and fetching the handle with wglGetCurrentContext(). https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/NativePluginInterface.html

Using GetRenderEventFunc() allowed me to call GL.IssuePluginEvent() directly from the render thread, which in turn allowed me to grab the context handle. I am now able to render my textures externally and then display them in Unity using Texture2D.CreateExternalTexture().

3. pavlynne

pavlynne

If you could show some exact code samples I would really appreciate it

JonRurka likes this.
  4. Varaughe

Varaughe