Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Friction Force and Acceleration

Discussion in 'Physics' started by edmario, Nov 19, 2017.

1. edmario

edmario

Hello everyone.

I'm doing a mini physics experiment, where I apply a Force in a gameObject and check various data, just to learn and curiosity.

But I encountered a problem ...

When I apply the Force in the gameObject without friction, the equation F = m.a works perfectly to find the acceleration of the object.

(V = Vi + a.t)
    But, when I put friction in the Physics Material of the objects, I can not make it work.

(Friction on the material and the Inspector of the ground and block.)

My code:

I saw in other pots that exist a "Friction mixing law", but even with that I can not make it work.
    I wanted to know how to find the acceleration with the friction in the active.

in advance, grateful.

2. Edy

Edy

UPDATE Nov 2018:
    Unity 2018.3 now exposes a setting that allows realistic friction. Read the next post.
    --

Don't expect the friction to work realistically in Unity. It's mostly faked for performance and it doesn't obey the basic laws of physic friction.

From the Physics Material help:
    Which means that the friction behavior depends on the actual mesh properties of your objects, so the only practical approach is configuring it as trial / error until finding some value that has an apparently realistic behavior.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Zavalichi and edmario like this.
  3. Edy

Edy