Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] Fire Projectile towards last position of player and make it continue in that direction

Discussion in 'Physics' started by transparo21, Feb 11, 2017.

1. transparo21

transparo21

Hi guys. OK, i managed to make a script that makes an enemy shoot a projectile at last player position. The projectile will hit the player if he is standing still but will miss if he moves, giving him a chance. However, the projectile stops at the target position and stay there.

My problem is how to make the projectile move towards last player position and continue moving in that direction indefinitely?

I want to avoid using rigidBody if possible because the projectile gets stuck in objects and causes weird interaction with the other enemies.

Code (CSharp):
    2.     void Start()
    3.     {
    4.        // Get last know player position, y is +1 so the bullet appears to "float above ground a bit"
    5.        lastPos = new Vector3(player.transform.position.x, player.transform.position.y+1,          player.transform.position.z);[/INDENT]
    6.     }
    8.     // Update is called once per frame
    9.     void Update()
    10.     {
    11.        // Move the projectile towards player's last position
    12.      transform.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(transform.position, lastPos, speed * Time.deltaTime);
    14.     }
    Thanks in advance.

2. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Vector3.MoveTowards moves the bullet towards the player's last knwon position, what you want is to move it in the player's last known direction. This should work:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Start()
    2.     {
    3.         // Add + 1 to player's last known position so bullet appears to float above ground.
    4.         Vector3 playerPos = new Vector3(player.position.x, player.position.y + 1, player.position.z);
    6.         // Aim bullet in player's direction.
    7.         transform.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(playerPos);
    8.     }
    10.     // Update is called once per frame
    11.     void Update()
    12.     {
    13.         // Move the projectile forward towards the player's last known direction;
    14.         transform.position += transform.forward * speed * Time.deltaTime;
    15.     }

3. transparo21

transparo21

Thanks Isaiah =). Glad to receive a reply, especially when starting out in Unity and seeking advice in these forums.

I am using navmesh for my enemies to move towards my player so they are already facing the playing and line 14 works perfectly.

I will keep the Quaternion.LookRotation in mind in case I need to objects to "aim" at the player first.

Cheers =D

4. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Glad it helped you. :)

The simplest method is actually Transform.LookAt:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. transform.LookAt(player.position);
    However, Quaternion.LookRotation is helpful when you want to look at a Vector3 instead of a Transform. Which I needed in the above example since I was modifying the player's position beforehand and returning a vector3 to look at instead of the transform.

Also for simple questions like this Unity Answers might be a better place. They probably have answers to very similar questions there already and you can learn a lot by just browsing it.

Best of luck with Unity!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  5. SlappyTheMonkeyBoy

SlappyTheMonkeyBoy

this was super helpful

6. unity_dvCFv3_q_Rs3-A

unity_dvCFv3_q_Rs3-A

Once again old posts have saved me.

7. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Great to see people are still finding this helpful. You can also just hit that like button to show your appreciation, instead of resurrecting an ancient tread ;)