Search Unity

[Solved] error CS0117: 'UnsafeUtility' does not contain a definition for 'MemSet'

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Skyblade, May 29, 2019.

1. Skyblade

Skyblade

I have the following packages in my project:
    upload_2019-5-29_21-57-53.png

As you can see, there are no compilation errors in my code.
    Why do I see error CS0117: 'UnsafeUtility' does not contain a definition for 'MemSet' error?
    Where does it come from?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. Harry-Wells

Harry-Wells

I found that downgrading the Collections package to 0.0.9-preview.19 killed the error. It's something to do with 0.0.9-preview.20
    (The package is normally hidden as it's a preview package)

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Skyblade likes this.
  3. Skyblade

Skyblade

That seems to do the trick. Thanks!

4. tertle

tertle

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if  UNITY_2019_3_OR_NEWER
    2.             UnsafeUtility.MemSet(destination, value, count);
    3. #else
    Was curious why I had no issue, and that's because it'll only show up on 2019.3a

Side note, UnsafeUtility.MemSet will be very handy

deus0, psuong, Skyblade and 1 other person like this.
  5. nemoman1991

nemoman1991

sorry,can you tell me how to downgrading the Collections package to 0.0.9-preview.19

6. psuong

psuong

You can bump down the version in Packages/manifest.json.

upload_2019-7-10_10-3-17.png

7. jdtec

jdtec

What sort of things do you tend to use it for out of interest?

8. tertle

tertle

Mostly resetting arrays (to -1)

An example is the NativeMultiHashMap where the .Clear method has to iterate all the buckets and set the values to -1. Instead you could use UnsafeUtility.MemSet

I've had uses for it in algorithms where I want the default value of an array to be -1 representing the cell has not be visited.

9. chubshobe

chubshobe

The Collections package is not in the Package Manager, even when viewing preview packages. Packages/manifest.json doesn't contain the Collections package either. Even after restarting Unity more than it was probably necessary, the Collections package didn't show up. The weird thing is that it's in the PackageCache folder. Deleting it, and then launching Unity still didn't work.It was a very poor decision to install the Burst compiler.

10. tertle

tertle

The Entities package depends on collections, burst, etc so all those packages will be installed.

The original issue in this thread was already fixed so what exactly is the issue you are you having?

11. chubshobe

chubshobe

The exact same error message, started appearing after installing the Burst compiler. Removing the Burst compiler package from the package manager doesn't really work, it does some stuff but the package is still there.

12. tertle

tertle

Show us your manifest. Also what version of Unity.

13. chubshobe

chubshobe

Unity 2019.3.0a3, pretty much everything has been said so far. Switched the API Compatibility Level to .NET 4.x from .NET Standard 2.0 before installing the Burst package, as it was recommended. That error appeared right after installing.

14. tertle

tertle

That's the problem the issue is fixed in newer versions of 2019.3 (latest version is a8, can't remember what version fixed it.)

Upgrade your version of Unity.

15. chubshobe

chubshobe

Updated to a8, using the same project, installed the latest version of the Burst package. The error is gone, thanks.

16. danielz4fun

danielz4fun

In my case the mistake was similar but it was another, if anyone can help I would be very grateful, I need to fix it urgently.

Attached Files:

17. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

@tertle Could you provide an example of this usage? Not sure how to use the byte "value" parameter to set elements in an int array to -1.

Edit:
    Thanks already as I saw your post here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/nativelist-remove-and-removeat-methods.778859/#post-5183357

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  18. Harry-Wells

Harry-Wells

If you consider the in-memory representation of a C# int, that’s 4 bytes in an architecture-dependent order. The byte order actually doesn’t matter in this case: the int -1 is just 4 bytes where each is 255 unsigned or -1 signed.
    Because of this, with a pointer to an int buffer, you can just pass 255 as the value to set and 4 * intArrayLength for the size.

apkdev and chadfranklin47 like this.
  19. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Thanks for the explanation. I was hoping to be able to set all ints in an int array to positive 1... but I guess MemSet() isn't designed for that so I'll need to stick with MemCpyReplicate().

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022