Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Endless "check workspace has not changed" (2017.1)

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Metron, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Metron

Metron

Hi,

on a project with only 2 developers, Unity 2017.1 freezes a lot on "check workspace has not changed" on one machine.

We've checked our network and internet connection, we do not have any proxy.

Is there any way (through logs or anything else) to check what actually causes the problem?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Metron! I'm sorry you're running into this issue. This error usually means that your project changed in the middle of Collab checking for changes. This may have happen unintentionally by an asset getting touched by a plugin during startup or an Update. Have you tried Restoring your project using the Collab History window? If that doesn't unblock you then downloading the project from the Cloud into a new folder should work. Please let me know if either of those options help.

3. Metron

Metron

Hello @ryanc-unity ,

What we did is to remove the collab folder from the Library folder.

After we did this, Collab wanted to commit several files which had not changed locally (including a submit for deleting a file). We manually selected "revert" for each file to prevent any data loss.

Is the behavior you described a bug which will get fixed soon?

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm glad that deleting the Collab folder unblocked you. Deleting this file essentially resets Collab in what it thinks are local changes, which explains why you saw Collab reporting changes that you hadn't actually made. It's important to double check your changes after removing that folder to make sure that everything is being tracked correctly.

What I described does have a fix for it in 2017.1 but it sounds like you may have run into a slightly different scenario. If you run across this error again, can you let me know what sorts of changes were being made up to that point? (ex. Renames, Moves, Adds, Deletes, Edits, etc.) That will help us in determining if this bug is one that we're currently tracking and whether it's a frequent enough issue.

Metron likes this.
  5. Metron

Metron

I stress tested Collab a bit on Friday by moving around a lot of assets in the project. Created some sub-folders and pushed the assets around before commit.

Evrerything worked as expected. Must say though that the other dev did not touch anything at that moment.

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for taking the time to check if you could get it to happen again. I'll mark this as solved for now but please let us know if you run into it again.

7. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I'm afraid this is still an issue on 2017.1.f1. :-/

Deleting the project and redownloading it works but takes a lot of time. I'll give a shot to the deleting collab folder solution but this really need to get fixed soon.

We also need more infos about this. Right now I only have the message "and error occured" and "check worskspace has not changed". Being able to know what it is stuck on an being able to manually unblock it would be a game changer.

Edit: the delete collab folder worked. Thanks to Metron for the infos about it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Metron likes this.
  8. bradbecker

bradbecker

Same issue. Any updates on this?

9. Orcnized

Orcnized

so still no real fix on this? just a "quick fix" ?
    error handling could be better....

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

This bug was particularly difficult to find consistent repro steps for but we will be working on a fix for this particularly nasty issue very soon. We apologize for the delay.

11. Metron

Metron

We decided to not use Collab anymore for our future projects. Too much hazzle and not production ready yet (even for small teams).