Search Unity

[SOLVED] Empty Project - Bad Performance - AMD RX 580 + i4690k - Oculus Rift S

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Geradewegsgegendiewand, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Geradewegsgegendiewand

Geradewegsgegendiewand

Hello!

Sorry for the repost but the VR sub-forum seems not very active.
    Maybe here someone can help me out. I've a annoying performance problem which is driving me crazy.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What does the profiler say is the cause?

3. Geradewegsgegendiewand

Geradewegsgegendiewand

Sorry for the late response very busy right now...

Well the Profiler says that "Scripts" and "Others" are the most computationally tasks.
    The player loop takes like 20 ms.
    As mentionded this is a empty scene only with the OVRCameraRig from the Oculus SDK.
    I have no clue whats meant by "others".
    Here is a snapshot from the spikes. But as you can see its barely reaches 60 FPS.

GPU utilization reaches only 10 % utilisation and CPU 50-60 %.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

One important detail about the profiler is that it includes the editor's resources usage when viewed within the editor. It's the most likely reason for the 20ms result. Have you tried updating your drivers? Unity has been known to be picky with drivers.

5. Geradewegsgegendiewand

Geradewegsgegendiewand

I finally found the cause of my problem. Its the Oculus SDK for Unity!
    I created a new project and now using the integrated XR Plugin Manager from Unity without downloading the Oculus SDK. My fps now reaches like 1000 fps in an empty scene with working headtracking.
    Now I understand the disastrous rating of the Oculus SDK. Its killing the performance completly (besides the warning and error spam when you try to use it).
    It seems like its already enough when the OculusSDK is in the Package Folder. Even when there is no CameraRig,
    Oculus SDK seems to work at start in the background.

Now I have to refactor everything. But the performance is now fine as it should.

Tried a newer Oculus Integration package from the Store (and an automatically upgrade the Oculus Plugin Version).
    Prefab with old keybindings is working and the fps is normal.
    So it seems like there was a buggy Oculus Integration package out there..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Ryiah likes this.