Search Unity

[SOLVED]Editor GUI prefab select button

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by kinetifex, Sep 13, 2009.

1. kinetifex

kinetifex

Is there a way to make an editor button that will select prefab objects?

I made a simple editor window that lists prefab objects and their properties in a table format to save me some clicks for editing values. I want to be able to click a button for a listed object that will then select the prefab.

Unfortunately the Selection class only returns the current selections and I can't find any methods to actually set the selection:
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Selection.html

Any ideas?

2. kinetifex

kinetifex

Also on this custom editor subject, when I change a property value using my editor window, the prefab updates fine and all is well. However, when I quit and re-open that value is lost. Only property values that I change in the inspector stick between Unity sessions.

What do I need to do to make values in a custom editor stick?

3. kinetifex

kinetifex

4. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

You can make a button that instantiates a prefab so you can drag it around in scene.

Also, I hope this helps:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Object found_asset = EditorUtility.FindAsset(asset_path, typeof(Object));
    3.                 if (found_asset != null)
    4.                 {
    6.                      Selection.activeObject = found_asset;
    7. }

5. kinetifex

kinetifex

Ah, thanks for the response gnoblin. You answered my question in the snippet. I didn't think to try actually setting the Selection.activeObject variable. The docs only say it Returns the active object so I assumed it only would be read-only... This probably means other class variables are actually settable, too.

Well now I know, thanks!

-Andrew