Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

(solved) Device.Present destroying FPS 240 -> 25

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by malkere, Nov 11, 2020.

1. malkere

malkere

profiler.png
    vsync is off, I'm not hitting the target frame rate... it just seems to want to hover at 30fps.... if I look up or down it goes up to 120 fps. So I go out into the ocean where there's no trees/animals (no objects) and turn the terrain render distance to the minimum, 30fps. then I turn it way up, 30fps... It seems like the gpu and cpu are like always waiting for one another more than something actually slowing things down??

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me look deeper into what's going on here.

120 was my target frame rate by the way, I turned it up to 240 and looking up/down it goes up to 240. I saved the above profile data, and would be happy to take a deep profile snapshot, etc. I just don't understand what "WaitForPResentOnGfxThread" on the CPU means, I assume it's waiting for the GPU to finish. Then on the GPU I've got "Device.Present" which as far as I can research is a similar "waiting" sort of function??

This is in a standalone win10 build using 2019.4.14

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  2. malkere

malkere

edit: problem is the same with no shader on the terrains

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  3. malkere

malkere

Deep profile of a standalone build turning terrains from off to on:
    upload_2020-11-12_12-5-30.png
    I still don't understand what Device.Present is supposed to be doing??

4. malkere

malkere

my gpu was hard capping the fps when the power usage went up....
    found some good places to tweak performance amidst the hair pulling though at least....

5. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Are you on a laptop?

A PC dGPU should not be capping performance unless it is overheating (or possibly if your PSU voltage was sagging due to overload)

6. malkere

malkere

No I'm running an RX 590... It's had problems where it will overheat and shut down besides me underclocking and undervolting it. I forgot that I had turned on the "Radeon Chill" setting so the GPU was doing it itself =[ Even though it will still overheat with some games if I don't turn the settings down... It's strong, but still the worst card I've ever bought. Probably should have sent it back, but... it works 99% of the time... just fussy. There goes 4-5 hours of hair pulling though XD