Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Copy a file, then immediately load the copy?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CloudyVR, Sep 5, 2017.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Consider the following script which takes an existing texture object, creates a copy of the texture file, copies that file to Resources directory, then immediately loads the new copy as the texture object:
    Code (csharp):
    2. string m_resourceFolder = "RoomTextures1";
    4. Texture2D texture = myTexture; // Grab a reference to some texture we created earlier.
    5. FileUtil.ReplaceFile (
    6.     AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath (texture), // Get current file path with extension.
    7.     toPath + Path.GetFileName(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath (texture)) // The folder to place the new file.
    8. );
    9. myTexture = Resources.Load<Texture2D>(m_resourceFolder + "/" + texture.name); // Try to load the copied file.
    When I run the above, I notice that the output for myTexture is null due to the copy not being created immediately, I must run it twice, or call that last line some time in the future then it works as expected.

How do I create a copy of a file and then reference that copy immediately?

Thanks.

2. Zenix

Zenix

Try calling AssetDatabase.Refresh() before the load.

lclemens and CloudyVR like this.
  3. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

That worked!!! Thanks!

4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Because I was working with textures and compression I found that Unity was not actually compressing the new textures as it showed the message: "Not Yet Compressed".

In my script, after setting the texture format, I had to reimport the asset like so:

Code (csharp):
    1. AssetDatabase.Refresh()          
    2. Texture2D newTexture = Resources.Load<Texture2D> (m_resourceFolder + "/" + texture.name);
    3. newTexture.format = yourDesiredFormat; //set the compression format
    5. AssetDatabase.ImportAsset( AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath( newTexture ) ); // Re-import texture file so it will be successfully compressed to desired format.
    7. EditorUtility.CompressTexture (newTexture, TextureFormat.Whatever, TextureCompressionQuality.Normal); // Now compress the texture.
    Now the new textures show as being compressed!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017