Search Unity

[Solved] Compute shader on Android not working

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Frenchie92, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Frenchie92

Frenchie92

I've spent the last couple days trying to figure out why my compute shader isn't working on Android. I've narrowed it down to the `tex2dlod` call always returning 0. Here's a minimal example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma kernel NotWorking
    3. RWTexture2D<float4> result;
    5. float tex_width;
    6. float tex_height;
    7. sampler2D input;
    9. [numthreads(8,8,1)]
    10. void NotWorking (uint3 id : SV_DispatchThreadID) {
    11.     float2 uv = float2(id.x / tex_width, id.y / tex_height);
    12.     float4 sample = tex2Dlod(input, float4(uv.x, uv.y, 0, 0));
    13.     result[id.xy] = sample;
    14. }
    On desktop, the output is the `result` texture being a copy of the `input` texture. As soon as I build/deploy to Android, `result` is just a blank (black) texture. I know the compute shader is getting executed because if I remove the `tex2Dlod` and replace it with a constant, I get the expected result on both platforms. EDIT: Turns out `tex2Dlod` wasn't to blame. I had replaced it with float4(1,1,1,1) and that was working but other values were not. Solution below.

What am I doing wrong?!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Can you please file a bug report?
    Thanks!

3. Frenchie92

Frenchie92

4. Frenchie92

Frenchie92

I spent a long time playing with all the variables I could. In the end, the one that made the shader start working was to change the format on the RenderTexture that I was using to write `result` into:

Code (CSharp):
    1. renderTexture.format = RenderTextureFormat.RFloat;
    The default `RenderTextureFormat` doesn't work on Android (gives error `RENDERTEXTURE.CREATE FAILED: FORMAT UNSUPPORTED FOR RANDOM WRITES - RGBA4 UNORM (7)`). I had originally tried replacing it with `RenderTextureFormat.ARGB32` since that's the most common one. Turns out that doesn't work either. Maybe it needs a different declaration in the compute shader? I don't know - it all worked in the editor...

wavekeyboard and Oxygeniium like this.