Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Collaborate Server Problems

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by CosmicBoy, Feb 4, 2019.

1. CosmicBoy

CosmicBoy

upload_2019-2-4_17-27-30.png

This has been happening more and more lately across different computers on different networks. Collab is already enough of a pain in the ass when its working, never mind when this crap keeps happening. Sometimes restarting Unity resolves the issue (which takes forever because of Collab "Checking for changes"), sometimes it doesn't.

We've been paying for this service for a while now and it seems none of these issues are being looked at or resolved at all. Some major Collab issues go back a couple of years on these forums unresolved. It seems free features get updated more frequently then alot of these premium services people are paying for.

I just read on the new preview release that "Checking for changes" is still not resolved? This is f**cking ridiculous! You are losing a serious amount of customers from the lack of support on basic features. Surely its not rocket science to have an option to disable Collab on start-up then enable it when you choose to after loading into a project?

So frustrating

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  2. T5Shared

T5Shared

Yes, that one is happening quite often for us as well. However, a few weeks back, a much better error reared its head:

upload_2019-2-5_11-12-34.png

This one is more irritating, since I have not been able to get Collaborate working again without starting Unity (and the delightful 'checking for changes' to stare at for a few minutes).

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @CosmicBoy! I'm very sorry about the issues that you've been running into and we are working on fixes for many of them, including Checking for Changes, which should be gone in an upcoming version of 2018.3 when used with the newest v1.3.x Collab-proxy package. Which version of Unity are you using? Have you tried closing your project, deleting your snapshot file in your project's Library/Collab/ folder and reopening it to see if that fixes the issue? Do you have any files larger than 5GB?

Hi @T5Shared! For that particular error we've recently added logic in our service that is not correctly retrying on temporary failures to use a backend Google service. We just introduced a fix so you should no longer see this error. Please let me know if that changes.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  4. CosmicBoy

CosmicBoy

@T5Shared I've recently been getting the same error the last couple of days.

@ryanc-unity Any ETA on the 1.3.x package? Currently on the latest Unity 2018.3.4f1 just after coming from 2018.3.1. Had the same issues on both. I'll try deleting the snapshot file in both of the collab projects i'm currently working in and see if it makes a difference.
    upload_2019-2-6_14-45-22.png

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@CosmicBoy expect the 1.3.x package with the "Checking for changes" fix to release early March. It will be compatible with 2018.3+ versions of Unity.

6. CosmicBoy

CosmicBoy

@ryanc-unity Ok cool, just an FYI, deleting that snapshot file straight up deleted alot of our recent changes and files in our project, even though we were synced.

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@CosmicBoy I'm so sorry. That should not have affected your changes, even your uncommitted ones. Collab will start syncing changes correctly again but this is why we are starting to move away from being dependent on the snapshot file for syncing changes in v1.3.0 of our package. Can you see these changes if you go back to an earlier commit?

8. T5Shared

T5Shared

Exellent, thanks Ryan!

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

The 2.0 package is now out, which will directly addres the "Checking for changes..." message! Check out the release notes / known issues post for more information. Thank you guys for your patience while we worked on this fix. :)