Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate makes unity editor extremely laggy

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Zibol, May 4, 2018.

1. Zibol

Zibol

Hi,

I have a project (2018 version, with collaborate enabled) working fine on my personnal computer. I wanted to collaborate it with another PC at work. So I installed unity HUB and 2018 then I download my project with collaborate. The first time I opnened it, the editor seemed paly (icons/folders etc) so I restarted it. Then when I re-opened it, it was super laggy, even moving the camera was a pain. I tried lots of things : restard PC, uninstall all unity things et reinstall them, nothing worked. In the task manager all is fine. I tried to reassign memory priorities for unity to "High", it worked like 30 sec, then became laggy again.

I'll see if there is this problem on my personnal PC too (I didn't checked it since this bug happened today) or if it's only on my work PC.

Hope somebody can find a solution, I would appreciate it.

Edit :
    - When I launch the project, it's fine the first 5 seconds, then it becomes laggy, maybe the time collaborate puts himself in place.
    - When I press play, all work fine, it's not laggy at all. Then when I stop, it becomes laggy again

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes, super laggy here. Disabled collab and all is well again. This was work-breaking and cost me a few hours in salary (maybe) ;) please be more careful, Unity.

Skype_2018-05-04_14-17-42.png

3. Zibol

Zibol

Was it ironic ? I don't get it (not a good english speaker)

Actually, I need collaborate so I can't disable it. And I worked this was for months so why is it laggy now ?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity problem at Unity side.

5. Zibol

Zibol

Ah ok, thanks a lot. Happy to see i'm not the only one. Hope this is not so hard to fix for them :/

6. Moxific

Moxific

I've got the same problem the editor is super laggy too

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hey everyone! We added a post about the issues causing the Editor to lag last week. Check it out here and if you're still encountering issues then please let us know.

hippocoder likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks! It was a pretty serious issue (making editor totally unusable qualifies as that) and I'm happy to report it no longer happens and the link you posted really restores my trust in the service. Thanks again.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  9. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

I'm experiencing extremely impossible to work lags which comes from collab, (the profiler shows the same as @hippocoder posted in his previous post) and I have this weird response times where I have to wait with the mouse hovering over a button for like 4-5 seconds to be able to click it or move or do whatever with the editor, is extremely annoying, I'm using unity 2018.2.14f1.

Please Unity team, try to make Collab an usable feature and not an experimental buggy proof of concept, we are at the end of 2018 and it still has some annoying bugs that either annoy you and make you waste a lot of time, or even worse you can loose weeks of work (it happened to my team that for some reason their collab didn't update some files although they were at the last version commited, this ended up in the lost of days of scripting in my side).

I can't be more explicit in saying that collab at its current state is more a bug than a feature in Unity, I'm practically forced to use it by the team because they are mostly artists and my bosses don't want to switch to git or whatever else in the middle of our current project. I know the team in charge of collab does a hard work maintaining it, but please check the bug reports, things that are reported years ago are still present, and being collab a versioning system there can't be groundbreaking bugs on it, you can loose thousands of dollars worth in working hours...

hippocoder likes this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

For the time being, turn collab off in the menu so you can work still.

@ryanc-unity *pokes*

Cleverlie likes this.
  11. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

yes that's what I'll be doing in the meantime, it is annoying nonetheless, since each time I re-login to commit changes unity does it's usual "checking for changes" that takes a good amount of time, so it still makes me waste time of my workday just waiting thread-blocking progress sliders :(.

hope there is a quick fix for this! cheers

12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Cleverlie! Could you submit a Support Ticket with the following information?
    • Link to this thread
    • How often those 4-5s lags seem to happen during the day
    • Results of running our Network Reporter
    • Either a small repro project or permission to make a debug copy of your project for testing

13. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

Hi, I'll do tomorrow, I don't think I can give you access to the project, but I'll try making a repo project and give you all the info I can from profiler, network reporter etc. thanks!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  14. Saulius

Saulius

Unity 2019.1.4f1. This is happening very often and way longer then few seconds, extends to minutes. It's driving me crazy as I need to finish project for a client and this insane lag is wasting my time.
    upload_2020-3-5_22-26-24.png

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Does disabling Collab or being offline resolve it?

16. Saulius

Saulius

I didn't notice this problem with projects that don't have Collab enabled. And I noticed that this happens only if I'm downloading something using webtorrent app. So that's the whole problem.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah collab is pretty sucky in some versions if it can't get a timely response from Unity's servers. I've no idea why it was blocking things back then.

Even now with latest 2020.1 and latest collab, I experienced a recent internet outage and got hit non stop by pausing and endless little progress boxes (2020.1 now pops a progress box up for any editor pauses) flashing up as it kept trying to call home so there is clearly yet work to be done still.

18. Saulius

Saulius

Normally I never did get this lag. But this one project is almost 1 year old and is a big one so that should make a difference as well. So now downloading when I'm working on it, otherwise it drives me crazy :D

Haven't tried 2020.1 yet, worked with 2019.3 only. Can't wait to finish this project and start new one on 2019.3.

19. PoyrazGoksel

PoyrazGoksel

Why is that post is marked as [Solved]? It is not solved nor the issue is gone... I appears that it is about connection because collab updates some data in realtime (when you change something your collegue can instantly see which scp obj you are working on). So its obvious that it is a networking issue which is a bug. Should be fixed ASAP. We are working from home(*Covid-19) and not all people got great internet connection our work is being hindered by this a ton.

20. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @PoyrazGoksel, could you go into more detail about what you're experiencing? How often are you experiencing lag? Which version of Unity and Collaborate are you using? We can also check your connection to our service if you run our Network Reporter and DM me your report.

21. PoyrazGoksel

PoyrazGoksel

Hello. Thank you for your promt reply. I am sorry that I`ve missed it. Unity Version 2019.2.20f1. It lags with every connection it does not matter where. My collegue has moved to his home on the other side of the country he too still experiences the lag. I get the lag like every half an hour. If i restart Unity it goes away otherwise i need to wait 1-5 mins for it to settle down. It feels like it is loading something. I tried this on win 7 and win 10 still same issue.

Here is my network results:

Attached Files:

22. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for your network report! We don't see any immediate issues with your connection. We'd like to look at your Editor logs, after you've experience the freeze you're talking about, to see if those logs can explain the lag. Could you please launch Unity with the following command line argument (-enableCollabEventLogs) before experiencing the freeze again and sending me your Editor.log file so that we can see additional Collab-related logging?

23. PoyrazGoksel

PoyrazGoksel

Hello thanks for your reply. It took me some time to get this report because I was working on project without collab. I dont know if I managed to enable collab events but I sure did write the cmd line arg -enableCollabEventLogs after ''.../Unity.exe" -enableCollabEventLogs like that. I am suspicious because I am obliged to use unity hub. This is what I got I see a lot if delays on refresh and deserialize.

PS. I got spikes at 13:19 GMT+3

Attached Files:

24. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for your log. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have the extra Collab event logs. You should have a stream of "<timestamp> Collab Log ..." in your Editor.log if the argument was recognized. It looks like you entered it correctly, but just to verify, did you open your Unity/2019.2.20f1/Editor folder in the Terminal, then enter ".\Unity.exe -enableCollabEventLogs"? Make sure that only one command line argument is passed in. After the Unity Hub opens, launch your project and use it normally until you experience the freeze.