Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate freeze unity with Check Workspace has not changed

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by lordubik, Apr 26, 2017.

1. lordubik

lordubik

Hi, today I try to update the project, but collaborate freezes unity3d at "Check Workspace has not changed"... is there a solution??? help!!!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

IgorAherne likes this.
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @lordubik! I'm sorry you're encountering this issue. Could you visit this thread and see if the solutions there unblock you?

3. lordubik

lordubik

Hi, sorry for delay;
    I have apply the @Kyuugatsu's hint; after delete all, I have reload the project, but collaborate not see the update... I need open the history and make restore. :/ I hope in a velocy fix... :(

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No worries about the delay. It sounds like you're unblocked but I apologize if you've lost any work using Restore. We'll continue to address issues like these in future updates. Please let us know if you run into any more issues in the future.

5. lordubik

lordubik

it again blocked :(
    if I have a commit and an available update, collaborate tells me that first I need do update. But, if I update, unity3d hangs
    :( If I do restore, I lost everything.

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm sorry to hear that. Collab is designed to not allow you to Publish your changes if there are outstanding changes that you need to Update and get. But the Update hanging Unity is not intended.

Do you see any progress bars or error messages (either in the Collab Toolbar or Console) when you try to Update? What type of changes were made in the commits that you're trying to pull (moves, renames, adding/deleting files)?

7. lordubik

lordubik

No, any message... is hangs on: (see screenshots)

:(

Attached Files:

8. lordubik

lordubik

* scene changed
    * prefabs changed
    * scripts changed
    * no files added or deleted

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the clarification. Could you try redownloading your project from the Cloud into a new folder to see if you still get this error? If you don't, then you should be able to copy-paste your changes from the old project into the new one.

10. Orcnized

Orcnized

this bug is pretty annoying....make collaborate total useless.

Bubsavvy and Vizition like this.
  11. Vizition

Vizition

fix ryan

12. Bubsavvy

Bubsavvy

This is a recurring issue for me. I think it may have to do with pushing an update from an older version of unity after an upgrade. My team and I are constantly losing work because of this and resorting to backups and restores which is not reasonable.

13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Bubsavvy! Can I ask which version you and your teammates are using? It's highly recommended that all team members on a project use the same version of Unity when using Collaborate to avoid API conflicts.

Bubsavvy likes this.
  14. Bubsavvy

Bubsavvy

We are using the latest version now Unity 2017.1.1f1 (64-bit), but the switch caused issues as everyone did not switch at the same time and still uploaded there work. I understand the API issues I however do not understand the why its locking up when we do this. API conflicts should be resolved after the upload or download of updates because the build fails. We can do that just fine by making the necessary code changes to match the updated API. But something needs to be changed to fix this. Sorry for the salt, but my team and I are just tired of having to deal with this issue over and over again every update.

15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I totally understand your frustration and I'm sorry you and your team are running into this. We'll continue to look into a fix for this issue. In the meantime, here's a suggested workaround that should get you and your team unblocked.

First, make sure that your whole team is running on the same version of Unity. Then, have everyone on your team close Unity, go into their project's /Library/Collab/ folder, remove their CollabSnapshot file from that folder, then reopen the project. Then check if you're still getting those "Check workspace has changed" errors when you receive an update.

Bubsavvy likes this.
  16. Bubsavvy

Bubsavvy

Okay so that sort of worked... It unblocked me, but what happens which is okay is that it asked me to push after that instead of update. So I did which updated the file on the collab. The issue is that after doing this my buddy as well was required to push up an updated so we did, but in the process reverting all my changes... However we just went back to my earlier push, made a small change, pushed up, and updated his workstation with the new updates.

For anyone else having this issue on all workstations :
    - Close Unity
    - go into projects /Library/Collab/ folder, remove CollabSnapshot file
    - Re-open unity
    - find the workstation with the most changes and updates
    - push the updates
    - find a different workstation
    - push update
    - go back to the workstation with all of the changes
    - go back to the original pushed change with the newest updates
    - make a small change
    - push up newest changes again
    - update all workstations

17. jaschieffer

jaschieffer

Why is this still an issue? Every week I have to redownload the project from the cloud.

18. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @jaschieffer! I'm sorry that you're running into this issue too. Do you recall what kind of changes you had made locally and what changes you were trying to pull when you saw this error?

19. Saldog

Saldog

Noticed that it occurred for me when pulling changes that had a compile error in it. This is seriously limiting our work as we can't tell what we lose after doing the snapshot delete fix!

20. Denglish

Denglish

Hi, I've been having "Check Workspace has not changed" freezes too and was about to write about my case in here but I found a workaround that worked for me in this case:

- Search for all the changes you are planning on committing after the update
    (can do this by typing "v:any" into the asset search bar)
    - right-click the scene you and the other person, whose stuff is freezing your unity when you try to download it, have done some changes on
    - revert the scene changes only
    - try update again...this worked for me
    (- maybe also try only updating one commit at a time if you have a lof of commits between your current version and your last updated version)

Extra info:
    All of the changes I wanted to commit where done to prefabs or scripts, yet I still had the main gameplay scene in my list of things that have been changed.
    So I looked at what the difference in that scene object was (opened it in an external diff tool; mine is "Beyond Compare 4") and it was just one line, something about "automaticlevelchange(0)" (which is probably just specific to our project but I thought I'd mention it anyways)

so tldr: revert changes in scenes you and version you are trying to update have both worked on and that worked for me, I was able to update normally afterwards

Saldog likes this.
  21. Saldog

Saldog

I'll give that a go when the problem pops up for us next time. Hoping that your solution works for us too, because we get the same issue with 'scene changes' when nothing has actually changed at all. So it sounds like the same case scenario as for us.

Denglish likes this.
  22. Saldog

Saldog

The problem just happened to us again and I tried this and it works excellently, perfect workaround compared to what we had to do before! Still lose some progress on the scene but it is much less confusing compared to before.

Cheers man

Denglish likes this.
  23. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

I have been getting the "Check Workspace has not changed" freeze about half the time I try to sync. Sometimes deleting my collab folder works sometimes not. I have two workstations and they're both doing it. I'm using 2017.2. It was happening on 2017.1 as well.

24. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @djweinbaum! I'm sorry to hear that you're also running into this issue. Could you try opening the Editor and, from the In the Cloud tab, redownload your project into a new folder to work in? Please let me know if that resolves your issue.

25. yzm

yzm

Hi @ryanc-unity we are also experiencing this issue on a regular basis. some info:
    The entire team (7 people) are on 2017.2.0f3 set to Android. Stations are both PC (Win10 and OSX)
    So far deleting the collab's .txt file and hitting Restore is our workaround. However, it is unsustainable and we have to find some better solution (in the form of it not happening again) as a lot of work is lost on a daily basis.

Does the message "Check Workspace has not changed" have an actual meaning in this context?
    We have a custom window only open to some of the stations and it always hangs on this message.

***Additional info***
    Sometimes the UnityYAMLMerge crashes. We theorized it might be because of different line endings

unity-collab-error.png

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  26. SundaeMonth

SundaeMonth

We are also having this issue. Updating from the collab dropdown causes unity to hang on "check workspace has not changed". The update i'm trying to pull is a simple addition of a model + material to the project files. There are multiple pending changes in the local project i'm pulling into, including script changes, lots of material changes, scene changes, and project settings changes. We have 3 active users and 2 more who havent pushed or pulled changes in a while. The 3 active users are all on 2017.2.0f3. We have also experienced a UnityYAMLMerge crash today, when trying to pull changes.

Collab is a very attractive feature but at this point it seems like we'll need to go back to a different version control option until it's more stable :(

27. SundaeMonth

SundaeMonth

update: I resolved our issue by meticulously going through the project files and backing up the changed files, then restoring to a previous version, then replacing the files & pushing again. Not exactly a sustainable solution :/

28. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hey @yzm and @SundaeMonth! I really want to figure out why you're all running into this issue. It would help me out a lot if you could try opening Unity with the -enableCollabEventLogs command line argument and try to run into this error again. When you do, you can send me your Editor.log files in either a DM to me or via the Unity Bug Reporter.

You could also try sending a crash dump of Unity so that we can use it for debugging. Here's a doc written up with steps on how to create one on Windows (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-ZevlK12mE-2hF5gFaJ62Z3J00OAnyOCebMi5Xr1mE8/edit) and another link on how to do it for Mac (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201373203-Gather-a-Process-Dump-or-Sample-Process).

Lastly, it would also help a great deal if you could zip up your project and send it to me via a Dropbox link (or I can send you a link to our cloud sharing site) since it might have cached values and settings that are unique to your copy of the project. All of that would go a long way in helping us find a fix for this issue.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  29. SundaeMonth

SundaeMonth

@ryanc-unity Things were going smoothly but then we ran into this issue again today. Sending you a DM with the requested info!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  30. SundaeMonth

SundaeMonth

OK- we've run into this problem three times in the past two days.

When pulling an update, unity hangs at this step:
    https://gyazo.com/62062cccdff7d69be81476265c57e19d

HOWEVER this time, rather than going into the task manager and ending the process, I happened to wait about 20 minutes. The "checking for workspace changes" bar never increased, but eventually unity came back to life again! & revealed a merge conflict:
    https://i.gyazo.com/fe037dba3baf5e6a715b3949243ff484.png

So, it's possible that this isn't a fatal issue. However, a 20 minute loading bar that doesn't progress & shows no signs of life is very disruptive to our workflow, & I have no evidence that it will always resolve like this.

For good measure, while unity was stuck at "checking for workspace changes", I created a process dump on the computer that had just pushed the update. I'll send that file to you in DM @ryanc-unity

We've also noticed that after pushing an update, the unity icon on the taskbar has a "loading" indicator that never goes away. not sure if this is related? https://i.gyazo.com/ab8ff1b6689e61de33316ef4179ce0e8.png

We've lost a lot of work to this issue, so here's hoping this info helps!

31. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@SundaeMonth thank you for your info! Thanks to the help of you and other helpful users we've been able to get good repro steps for this issue and can soon begin working on a fix! I'll update here as soon as I can give an accurate estimate on when a fix is on the way. In the meantime, when encountering this issue, try letting Unity sit for half an hour to see if it unblocks on its own. I know this isn't ideal and we will work on a fix ASAP!!!

SundaeMonth likes this.
  32. SundaeMonth

SundaeMonth

Glad to hear it! Thanks & good luck :)

33. DavidJares

DavidJares

Yep, Same problem on my side.

34. SundaeMonth

SundaeMonth

Hi @ryanc-unity , just wanted to let you know this issue is escalating for us. Frequently now we're running into this situation:
    -download update from collab (with or without local changes)
    -collab makes it almost fully through the "downloading" progress bar
    -unity crashes
    -now unity crashes every time we open the project on this computer

the only thing that resolves this that we've found is deleting/renaming the project folder & redownloading the whole thing.

**EDIT: deleting just the "library" folder should work as well**

I submitted two crash reports, #974683 and #976226

***EDIT 2: just kidding! currently nothing we try is fixing our project. the project opens okay but when opening our main scene, unity crashes. tried deleting the entire project, then just the library folder, but no luck. submitting a crash report related to this here**

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  35. SundaeMonth

SundaeMonth

Also, not sure if this is related, but we have a ghost folder that keeps finding its way back to the project despite being constantly deleted.. it's a demos folder for a plugin we stopped using. whenever the project is restored (& possibly updated, im not totally sure) the folder re-appears & we see a few errors in the console along the lines of "failed removing file because it does not exist"

36. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@SundaeMonth thank you submitting those crash reports! I took a look through them and it seems to be crashing on a Terrain object that has Splat Materials in your scene. Here's the call stack:

FindProperties
    SplatMaterials::FindMaterialProperties
    SplatMaterials::Update
    Terrain::UpdateSplatMaterials
    TerrainManager::CullAllTerrains
    Camera::CustomCull
    Camera::RenderEditorCamera

It doesn't seem to be failing on anything Collab-related but I'd like to help point you in the right direction. I'm asking around on my end to see where would be a good place to ask people for help related to Terrains. For now, I'd recommend trying the Editor General Support forum. It looks like it might be related to https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...th-a-certain-terrain-and-material-combination.

Regarding that ghost folder, have you checked to see if it's meta files are somehow getting left behind when you try to delete it? You may need to set your file browser to show hidden files to see them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  37. SundaeMonth

SundaeMonth

Thanks a lot! I'll check it out.

38. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Restoring to last version before syncing works for me, but of course I lose all local changes first. Deleting the Collab folder doesn't work for me. I haven't tried re-downloading the whole project into a new folder yet. I will post the results here if I ever find the time to do that.

So have we no idea what's causing this? Like is anyone even on the scent? All the tricks to make it go away involve trashing all your changed files, meaning you have to meticulously comb through for changed files and back them up elsewhere first, which obviously defeats the purpose of version control. But then it randomly comes back. Is it really such a fringe issue? My assets folder is 6.22 gb. Is that too big for collab or something?

39. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @djweinbaum! We have determined one of the main causes of this issue already. It seems that in some rare cases after pulling changes our SmartMerge tool can run into a situation where it's stuck inefficiently comparing scene files to look for conflicts, causing it to take an extremely long time to finish. We're already working on a way to optimize this scenario and hope to have a fix out soon.

40. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Hooray! That's great to hear! My project has several scenes which are over 100 mb and we're changing all of them pretty much every check-in so perhaps that's why I'm seeing this a lot. This is very good to know. Thanks very much for the update!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  41. Karsten

Karsten

That decade old line ending problem... obviously unsolvable for Unity Technologys , its a mess if part of the team works on PC and someone in the team is using an Apple, but still if the team is PC only and you import some 3rd party asset containing scripts with Apple lineendings the problems start too.

We have the same collab "workspace not changed" problem and yes it is probably the line endings, at least this is one of the problems causeing it we pretty sure

42. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Karsten! I'm sorry to hear that you're also running into this issue. We're still working on this fix. In the meantime, there are many IDEs and code editors that allow you to ignore the line endings when editing them. Could you try specifying all of your scripts to use the same line endings and see if you're still running into that freeze?

43. tcz8

tcz8

Same problem here... Is collaborate working any better under 2017 vs 5.6? Cause right now, dealing with it is our #1 time waster.

44. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

@ryanc-unity I'm on 2017.3.0p2 and still dealing with this issue. I submitted everyone's changes so no one had any local changes, wiped everyone's local build, then downloaded a fresh build from the cloud onto everyone's workstation hoping it would fix the issue, but it has not. I see here the issue says its been fixed in a future release? May I ask which release is that?

45. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @djweinbaum! We recently got a fix merged into trunk and its on its way to being backported to as far back as 2017.2. For 2017.3, we'll aim to get it into 2017.3.1p1.

djweinbaum likes this.
  46. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Okay, thanks very much for the info! I have a bottle of wine I'm saving for the day I'm able to get the fix :). It will be a glorious day and literally change my life.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  47. bradbecker

bradbecker

Any ETA on this?

48. Fewes

Fewes

Is the fix in question only pertaining to Collab? I'm seeing the crash with the same call stack as @SundaeMonth caused by a custom terrain material. Removing the offending material from the project fixes the crash, but it'd be a shame if custom terrain materials are off the table.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  49. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

We expect 2017.3.1p1 to be out within a week or two.

50. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Fewes! It's possible that the crash just happened to occur inside those materials. If after the above version comes out and you're still experiencing a crash inside of the terrain assets and you feel that it's still Collab related then don't hesitate to submit a support ticket with us.