Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Collaborate downloads project as empty -- it isn't empty

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Vallar, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Vallar

Vallar

Hi all,

Recently the team I am working with has paid for Collaborate and we've started using it. All was good for a while. However since yesterday it started acting up. I'd load the project up and the Collaborate button is grey. When I click on it I see the "Start" button. Give it a good 2-3 minutes then it says Link Error and I have to refresh the link. I do that and it says "Link refreshed" but I still can't access Collaborate (dimmed button).

Even once pulling, it auto-pushed my changes when I didn't even bother pushing.

Anyway, today I decided I had enough and deleted the project and started downloading it from the cloud. Unity downloads the project, it shows it is done (no more loading or importing). It is completely empty. I give it a few minutes (15 minutes) nothing yet. The project is a few mbs and not big. It is practically a few scripts.

I checked my internet connection, it is pretty solid, can browse, download, upload anything without problems. It is just Collaborate.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Vallar! I'm sorry that you've been running into these issues. Could you tell me which version of Unity you're using? Have you tried to download your project from the Cloud again since this first started happening? If your project is still empty after downloading, have you looked in your project's Library/Collab/Download folder to see if your project's assets are in there?

3. Vallar

Vallar

Hi Ryanc,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't update the post (completely forgot given this span over a few days). Just to be clear on the symptoms (just in case someone else ran into this). Basically Unity would start downloading the project from the Cloud (after me deleting the local copy). Shows it is importing stuff like usual then stops. The Assets folder is completely empty on disk and in the Project View. Moreover, the download bar that usually starts doesn't appear at all.

I have repeated this about 3-5 times during a few days. It didn't work at all. It also started acting funny before I noticed this issue when I tried to submit a push and it says the project isn't linked. I refresh the link and it still unlinked. After a long time of refreshing access it would finally pick up on the access. I pull and Unity's Collaborate would both pull and push at the same time (which never happened before, it always let me do both independently).

Anyway, this kept on happening (the empty project) for a few days. I even left Unity up waiting for it to download for about 20 minutes (our project is like 6MB in total or something). My internet connection was working fine, I downloaded bigger and smaller sized files with no issues whatsoever.

It wasn't until the last day I was giving this a look when I remembered I changed my DNS a week ago. So I changed back my DNS to Google's and everything worked flawlessly. My surprise is that the DNS change that caused this lasted a couple of weeks and during those weeks it had no issues whatsoever. It just started having issues out of the blue.

If there is any information I can provide from my end to help rectify this so people don't have to use some specific DNS for their ISPs I am happy to provide all the information you want.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for that update. I'm glad to hear that things are working for you again after changing your DNS. It's likely that certain connections had been cached before your DNS change and had just started to expire when you were experiencing these issues.

Could you tell us which DNS and ISP provider you were using before you changed it to Google's? It would also benefit us a lot (if you have the time) to try reverting your DNS back to what it was before and running our Network Reporter Tool so that we can get a glimpse at where in the Collab process it's failing. You'd need to DM me your report log since it'll contain sensitive information about your ISP that's best not shared on public forums. Again, that's only if you have the time to run it for us.

5. Vallar

Vallar

I don't think I can remember the exact time, but I'll PM you all the information. Thanks