Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Collab is crashing Unity upon pull

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by jwvanderbeck, Jun 2, 2017.

1. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

I submitted a bug report through the crash reporter, but i'm in a bit of a bind right now because I can't work at all because the work I need to do relies on changes in the Collab pull that is crashing Unity.

Basically I start Unity up on my MacBook Pro, click the Download Now button on Collab to grab the latest changes and the Unity editor immediately hard crashes :( I tried several times with the same results. I even tried going into the Collab history and downloading only one change set at a time, but the first changeset I try to download crashes immedaitely.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Yikes! I definitely want to get you sorted out so you can get back to work.

Going through your logs I'm seeing errors about the Inspector Mode being set not on the main thread. Do you have your Inspector set to Debug mode? Are you using any plugins that plugins that might be setting the Inspector Mode? If your Inspector is in Debug mode, could you try changing it back to Default and see if that clears up your issue?

3. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

I'm not even sure what "Inspector Mode" is but i'll see if I can figure it out.

4. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Ok right clicking on the Inspector tab shows the Mode is Normal. I'm not aware of any plugins that would be doing anything with that but to be honest I didn't even know that mode switch existed before this thread :)

Plugin wise nothing has changed since the last pull. The only project wide change I can think of made since this last pull was on my machine at home I setup the editor for two monitors. But I don't think that gets synced right?

Other than that the only additions in this change set are just some new script files and changes to existing ones I think.

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I was just about to post a screenshot of where to change the Inspector Mode :). I'm glad you were able to find it.

Nope, Collab doesn't sync monitor settings, so that likely isn't it.

Are you able to download the project into a new folder using the In The Cloud tab in the Launcher? See if your project downloads fine that way?

6. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

How would I do that?

7. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Ok figured it out. Downloading a completely new copy worked. So at least i'm able to keep working. Is this new download still linked properly if I need to submit my changes back?

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Yes, this project is still linked. Any changes you push will show up for anyone else working on your project. :)

9. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

And yet again Collab is causing Unity editor to crash continuously after a pull. After the pull and merge Unity crashes every time it is started, just like last time. I'm going to do a fresh download which will probably fix it again, but seriously this is not a friendly experience, and especially irritating given UT deems Collab good enough to leave beta and charge for.

I submitted a crash report, but it appears to be the same issue as before. I was using Unity 5.6 last time, but now I have updated to 2017, so it appears that whatever this bug is, it exists in multiple versions.

10. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Well downloading it fresh did NOT fix it this time, so once again Collab is literally preventing me from working :(

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@jwvanderbeck. I downloaded your project and ran into the same crash but I'm getting it to happen even with Collab disabled. I think you have something in your project that's causing an issue during startup. It seems to be a race condition with Unity's startup, according to the stack trace, which we have a bug for. Unfortunately, the issue tracker link for it is broken, so once that's fixed I'll post it here.

I managed to get your project to open by resetting the layout to Default. Try opening a different project, changing the Layout to Default, then open your original project again to see if it'll open now.