Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Collab Freezing Unity / Unable to Publish

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by ShadyAlien, Mar 5, 2019.

1. ShadyAlien

ShadyAlien

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this issue: yesterday I updated from Unity version 2018.3.0f2 to 2018.3.7f1. I subsequently update collab to 1.2.16 (I can't find what version I was using previously--I hadn't updated it in a while though). Collab had been working well prior to this. I should also note that project is large (10 gb) and the amount of changes I'm trying to publish in this particular instance is large (244 changes). What happens is, when I click the button to bring up the collaborate dropdown, the editor freezes for approximately 5 minutes. After that, the window will briefly appear and then disappear again. Occasionally, it stays open and gives me the option to publish. However, pressing the publish button makes the window disappear again, and nothing gets published, thus starting the cycle all over again. I'm not sure if this is related to the stuff I updated, or the amount of changes I'm trying to publish, or some combination of the two. I feel like I would probably be able to publish this OK, if it weren't for the frustrating UI that keeps disappearing on me.

Edit: also forgot to mention, I'm on Windows 10.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. ShadyAlien

ShadyAlien

Update: I was able to get it publish after retrying a few times. The editor continues to freeze when I click the collab button, even after publishing (I was thinking that maybe it was freezing because the editor was possibly gathering information on all the changed files or something like that, but now that there are none, that doesn't seem to be the case). However, this time, the window didn't disappear when I clicked "Publish" and successfully did so.

Edit: I should also note that I was able to publish under the 2019.1.0b5 beta. Not sure if that affected anything or not; I decided to try it out to see if anything would be different, and on the whole my experience was largely the same except for the fact that after a couple of tries the publish button did finally work.

I'm not sure what's causing the slowdown, but some of my issues would be alleviated if there was a permanent "Publish" button, maybe in the collab history panel (similar to how the Github for Unity plugin does it, I think) that's not a part of a dropdown menu that seems unwilling to show itself a lot of the time.

3. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi @Ramandu,
    Sorry to hear of your issues using Collaborate. So that we can retrieve logs from you and diagnose the cause of the behaviour, please can you log a Support ticket via the Collaborate section of the Developer Dashboard?

4. ShadyAlien

ShadyAlien

Thanks! I may have found a solution, though. I noticed that simple prefabs were taking an oddly long amount of time to save as well. I deleted the library and let unity rebuild it, and now everything seems to be working normally. I'll put in a support ticket if the issue persists but it seems like rebuilding the library fixed it.

5. ShadyAlien

ShadyAlien

Futher update: the same problem happens if I'm in a complex scene. If I create a new, empty scene, and then publish, everything works great. A minor inconvenience, but a bit head-scratching.

6. weareinteractive

weareinteractive

The same is happening to me on Unity 2019.2.11f1

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @weareinteractive, I'm sorry to hear that. Could you go into a little more detail about what you're seeing? Does the Editor freeze for you each time you try to open the Collab Toolbar? Do you see any errors in the Console or Editor.log? Screenshots or gifs would be greatly appreciated.

8. weareinteractive

weareinteractive

Hi @ryanc-unity. When I open the Collab Toolbar on my main scene, the editor immediately freezes, but if I open the Collab Toolbar on a clean scene, all work normally. The "freeze", it´s not actually a normal freeze when the program say "not responding", just not accept more mouse input´s. If I close Unity on task manager, the program automatically closes like when all work well. I see nothing relevant in the Editor.log file but I'll send it anyway.

Attached Files:

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for sharing your log with me. I also didn't see any apparent issues after looking through it. Would you be willing to reopen the Editor from the command line using the following argument, -enableCollabEventLogs, so that more Collab-specific error messages can be tracked in the log file? If you could reopen your project and try to open the Collab Toolbar then your Editor.log should have more helpful information. Are you able to interact with other programs while Unity appears "frozen"? In your Task Manager could you tell me what percentage of your CPU is being used by Unity before and after you try to open the Collab Toolbar?

10. weareinteractive

weareinteractive

Hi, again @ryanc-unity. Sorry for the delay on responding. After trying with that argument, all just start working normally... But after that I test to open the project normally (without cmd with the argument), but appears to end in the same behavior, frozen.
    So about your question, yes I am able to interact with other programs after unity freeze. I don't see any difference on task Manager before and after on CPU percentage.
    I am sending the Editor.log when Unity opens with the argument.

Attached Files:

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No worries about the delayed response. That's strange that the issue disappears while using the debug command. You mentioned earlier that you experience this "freeze" when opening the Collab Toolbar while your main Scene is open, but not in an empty project. Do any other Scenes experience this same issue? Would you be willing to share your project with us so that we can try to reproduce the issue on our end? All we need is written permission and a DM of your UPID so that we can make a full copy of your project for testing. I see from your Editor logs that you're running on Windows 10. Do you know if this also repros on Mac or do you not have access to one to test?

12. weareinteractive

weareinteractive

I update the project from unity 2019.2.11f1 to 2019.2.14f1 and the problem as been resolved. With that, I ask if you want to have access to the project anyway?

13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm happy to hear that your issue was resolved after updating your version of Unity. If you're no longer seeing the issue then you don't need to share your project with us now, but thank you for offering. Please let us know if you run into any more issues.