Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Collab drop-down does not update after a publish or local change

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Matthew-Gatland, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Matthew-Gatland

Matthew-Gatland

When I click on the Collab button, the drop-down that appears always shows the same content as when I first launched Unity. It does not update to reflect changes that happened during the Unity session.

If I launch Unity with some local changes, I am invited to publish those changes.

1.png

After I publish, the Collab button updates to show I am now up to date. But the contents of the window does not update. It still shows the same changes.

In this screenshot you can see that the Collab button has updated and now shows a green tick – I am up to date – but the drop-down has not updated. The 3 changes listed have already been published and should not be displayed any more.
    2.png

If I add new files or change other files, they do not appear in the drop down either.

If I close and reopen Unity, the drop-down updates, and I can publish my next set of changes. But the same problem happens afterwards: the contents of the drop-down never changes until Unity is closed and re-opened.

Here is another example. I opened Unity with no changes, then made a local change. The Collab button correctly shows that I have changes, but the drop-down does not:

3.png

More details

The problem seems to happen in Unity 2017.1.0f3 and 5.5.1f1

I tried reloading the Colab History view. It does update the Collab History but does not update the Collab button drop down.

I tried viewing http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges - it seems to show the correct state (same as the Collab button), not the incorrect state shown by the drop-down.

This problem occurs on Windows computers.

The affected computers are at a university - there may be something unusual about the setup because it's a shared environment?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Matthew-Gatland! Thank you for the incredibly detailed post about your issue! We are actively looking into a fix for this particular issue.

Does this issue happen regularly for you or is pretty rare? Does it tend to happen more often when uploading a large number of assets at once or when doing smaller, more frequent commits? Lastly, do you notice the sync issue happening when you are notified of Updates to pull or just when there are new changes to Publish?

3. Matthew-Gatland

Matthew-Gatland

Hi,

It happens every time I make changes. Whether is is a one-line code change or a 30mb change when I first activated Collab on a project. (When I first activate Collab, the drop-down says 'You are up to date').

The sync issue also happens when I am notified of updates - the Collab button shows the correct icon, but the drop-down area does not change.

The drop-down does not seem to update in any situation. For example:

I had an incoming update, but had conflicting local changes. I clicked 'Update Now', and the drop-down did not change to show the conflict editor.

1 (3).png

After restarting Unity, I see the conflict editor. I can click 'see differences' or 'Use mine' or 'use theirs'. Here, I clicked 'Use Mine' but the drop-down did not update.

before clicking:
    10.png
    after clicking:

11.png

4. Matthew-Gatland

Matthew-Gatland

I lied, there is at least one situation where the drop-down updates - kind of: When I revert a file, the UI changes up to this point:

a.png b.png c.png
    However the spinner in the third screenshot never stops spinning. Even after I publish the changes
    d.png

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the extra info! Are you using a firewall, by any chance?

Can you try deleting your Packages folder and restarting Unity to see if that refreshes your toolbar? You can find your Packages folder here for Windows:
    <username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages

6. Matthew-Gatland

Matthew-Gatland

Deleting the packages folder doesn't seem to have any effect. (The UI always refreshes when Unity is restarted, but deleting Packages doesn't fix the issue of it not refreshing while Unity is running.)

Windows Firewall is off. There may be other firewall stuff going on - this is in a computer lab and I don't manage the computers. There are some antivirus or DRM programs running:
    * EMET 5.51 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)
    * ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6
    * CodeMeter

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for checking that. It seems like something is interfering with Collab trying to update your Toolbar. Can you open Unity for me, then in a web browser visit this page?

http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges

Tell me if you see a list of changes that need to be published or if you see any errors.

8. Matthew-Gatland

Matthew-Gatland

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hmm weird. Do your Editor or Console logs show any errors or warnings? Try running Unity with the -enableCollabEventLogs flag and opening the Collab Toolbar when it incorrectly displays the wrong state to see if any errors pop up in your logs.

10. Matthew-Gatland

Matthew-Gatland

Hi,
    The console log is empty. I don't think there are errors in the editor log (with -enableCollabEventLogs), but I have attached one here just in case.

In this log I open a pre-existing Unity Collab-enabled project that has one local change. I publish with the comment "tiny change" using the Collab Toolbar. I then looking at the Collab Toolbar, which had not updated, and published the same change again with comment "publish the same change again"

Attached Files:

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for sharing your log with me. I'd like to have you try something a little drastic. This won't affect any of your project's assets. Our Collab Toolbar (along with the Launcher and our History and Services windows) are loaded from Javascript packages. I'd like you to replace the package for the Collab Toolbar with the one that I've attached to this post.
    1. Unzip the attached package.
    2. Find your Packages folder here:
      <username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages
    3. Run Unity and open your project. (The packages are updated each time Unity is opened, so they need to be replaced after Unity has been launched)
    4. Copy the contents of the unzipped package and paste them in Packages\node_modules\unityeditor-collab-toolbar.
    5. Check if the Collab Toolbar in your project is updating correctly.

Attached Files:

murp35 likes this.
  12. Matthew-Gatland

Matthew-Gatland

That fixed it!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  13. supportcsg

supportcsg

@ryanc-unity, we are facing the same problem in 2019.4.7; it happened all the team members.Please do the needful.

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @supportcsg, if you're referring to the blank Collab Toolbar issue, that has been resolved. Here's a post that explains in detail what went wrong. I hope it answers all your questions.