Search Unity

[SOLVED] Check if an app is installed on my phone

Discussion in 'Android' started by Vasilis62, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Vasilis62

Vasilis62

Hey all,

So I have created a function that checks if an app is installed on my phone. If it is then it opens the app, if it is not then i opens the google play store. Problem is whenever I try to run it, I get NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object on the AndroidJavaObject packageManager = ca.Call<AndroidJavaObject>("getPackageManager");

Any ideas what may be causing that?

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void Installed()
    2.     {
    3. #if UNITY_ANDROID
    4.         string bundleId = "myBundleId";
    6.         AndroidJavaClass up = new AndroidJavaClass("com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer");
    7.         AndroidJavaObject ca = up.GetStatic<AndroidJavaObject>("currentActivity");
    8.         AndroidJavaObject packageManager = ca.Call<AndroidJavaObject>("getPackageManager");
    9.         AndroidJavaObject launchIntent = packageManager.Call<AndroidJavaObject>("getLaunchIntentForPackage",bundleId);
    10.         if (launchIntent == null)
    11.         {
    12.             Application.OpenURL("market://details?id=" + bundleId);
    13.         }
    14.         else
    15.         {
    16.             ca.Call("startActivity",launchIntent);
    17.         }
    19.         up.Dispose();
    20.         ca.Dispose();
    21.         packageManager.Dispose();
    22.         launchIntent.Dispose();
    23. #endif
    24.     }

honor0102 likes this.
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

3. Vasilis62

Vasilis62

Good day Jeff and thank you for your reply. Google searches are always useful, that is why I did multiple before asking here. However, in the link you posted a different problem is asked and solved. Specifically on my code I get a null reference exception on line 8 (the package manager) which after some debugging shows that the AndroidJavaObject ca is null, which means the GetStatic of currentActivity is null. That is what I am trying to understand and find out why is happening.

Discipol likes this.
  4. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

Sorry but I have to ask since you never mentioned it, but did you run it on android phone or on editor?
    [EDIT]
    nevermind, there would be no error code shouldnt be running if it run from editor since there's a #IF UNITY_ANDROID

[Another EDIT]
    I'm having the same problem a while ago, (most likely following the same source reference as yours), but I forgot how I managed to solve it
    Maybe this might help
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ivity-in-unity-and-i-am-getting-the-following

basically adding
    Code (csharp):
    2. <meta-data android:name="unityplayer.UnityActivity" android:value="true" />

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. Vasilis62

Vasilis62

Hello Bart!

I have tried that solution before and I had some conflicts with Firebase that I have integrated in my app. I will try what you are proposing and get back to you. Thank you!

6. Vasilis62

Vasilis62

Well, I'll be damned! Even though my androidmanifest file had that line inside the activity block, adding it outside of it worked! Thank you so much Bart!

7. aj-fix

aj-fix

Big heads up to anyone looking to use this technique now: Android 11 introduced limitations on the packages your app can see. So even if someone has the app installed, it won't appear to be installed unless you explicitly declare that you check for it in your Android manifest.

This page details how you make the declaration:
    https://developer.android.com/training/basics/intents/package-visibility

And if you're using 2019.4 or earlier, you'll have to modify your build as outlined below:
    https://developers.google.com/ar/develop/unity/android-11-build

Hopefully this saves someone the hours it took me to find o_O

8. Davinder_Singh

Davinder_Singh

Thank u so much brooo! i wasted 3 hours to see if there was something wrong with my code!

9. unknownsk

unknownsk

I know it's too late but just in case anyone tries to do the same logic,
    You can forget this code and use firebase dynamic links, this will be much easier.