Search Unity

[Solved]Car Clutch Implementation Problem

Discussion in 'Physics' started by NDSno1, Sep 29, 2016.

1. NDSno1

NDSno1

Hi all,

I'm developing a racing game and is using WheelCollider. I'm trying to implement a clutch that uses the triggers on the Xbox 360 controller. However, based on my equation, I'm having problem:
    WheelCollider.motorTorque = EngineTorque * GearRatio * FinalDrive * ClutchInput
    Since the ClutchInput will be 0 when the trigger is not pressed, the torque to wheel will be zero, which is not what I want. I want the clutch to be 1 when not pressed, and when fully pressed it will be 0, which means the torque from engine will not be transferred to the wheel, and that's what a real car is like.
    If I change ClutchInput to 1/ClutchInput, I'll have division by 0 exception.
    Also before this function, I have other functions that calculate the EngineTorque separately from the WheelCollider.motorTorque and independent from the WheelCollider, so I think it would be best to have the ClutchInput involves in this step.
    Is there a way to change that function somehow to meet the requirement, or I should use some other scripting tricks?

2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

WheelCollider.motorTorque = EngineTorque * GearRatio * FinalDrive * (1.0f - ClutchInput);

NDSno1 likes this.
  3. NDSno1

NDSno1

Oh my goodness why I couldn't I think of this earlier.
    Thanks so much