Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Can collaborate be used by one user / multiple computers?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by sarachan, Oct 8, 2016.

1. sarachan

sarachan

I am working myself (i.e. a team of one) on a Unity project, but would like to have the choice of using any of 3 computers for development. Can Collaborate by used to keep a Unity project in synch on 3 different computers for one user?

Thanks!

2. bradunity

bradunity

Yes, that should be fine.

3. Mad_Philosopher

Mad_Philosopher

This is exactly why I want to try Collaborate, I often work on two computers and I have to transfer via sd card. It gets old so going to try to use cloud. I want to upgrade my license but then I need to licenses.
    One use case is when I am testing AI's in game and just want game to run but do not want to stop working on other features.

4. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

Hello,

This would be the main reason why I would use Collaborate. I am a hobbyist, and I have my project on my home computer, but I would like to be able to load that same project on my work computer as well. Is there any guides on how to setup Collaborate for one users who want to use one project on two different computers?

5. bradunity

bradunity

It doesn't behave differently than normal. Just run Unity on each computer logging in with your normal account. We hear reports from many devs taking this approach and we do this often when testing ourselves! Specifically, enable "Collab" in the "Services" window (details: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityCollaborateSettingUp.html) from one machine. Then on other machines that you'd like to participate in the "collaboration", choose the same project from your list of projects "In The Cloud".

UnityFan18 likes this.
  6. sarachan

sarachan

I had some issues using Collaborate to share my own work between a couple of computers. Perhaps because I was trying to share large assets? After trying a few times I switched to using git and BitBucket, which works great, but does require some setup. I need to set up the assets separately on both computers, but git is perfect for sharing the scripts, etc. that I create.

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @sarachan! You shouldn't have run into any issues trying to sync large assets via Collaborate. Would you mind telling me what kinds of assets you were having trouble syncing, how big they were, and what kinds of issues you were seeing?

8. sarachan

sarachan

Hi @ryanc-unity I had not actually tried this since October, but because you asked I tried it again.
    I tried using Collaborate to synch a smallish Unity project between two computers, and that worked great.
    I then tried using the actual project I am currently working on. It has a few large assets from the Asset Store: an environment and a couple of large packages of animation clips. The total size of the project is 3.1GB. The upload ran for over an hour and finally gave a time-out error. Nevertheless, the project appeared on my dashboard so I persevered and tried downloading it to a different computer. The download seemed much faster, but then the process was stuck at 99% for a long time, finally resulting in an error -- a red banner across the Services window saying "An error occurred." I was able to start the project, but with some errors in the Console. I don't feel confident enough in the copy to actually use this for work. An approach that could be tried would be to list the large assets in the .ignore file and load them separately on each computer from the Asset Store -- in other words to not use Collaborate to share the "static" large assets that I am not changing. That is essentially what I do now with git. I hope these comments are of some use.

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you, @sarachan, for taking a look at it again. That is certainly odd that it's having trouble syncing a 3GB project. Have you tried running our Network Reporting Tool yet? If not, would you mind giving it a try and DMing me your log?

In the meantime, what you could try doing is selectively publishing your project into smaller pieces to see if that results in a successful Publish. You can do that by selecting the folders that you'd like to Publish, right clicking on them, then going to Collaborate->Publish. This will let you Publish just the selected assets, minimizing the chance for a time out. Try selectively publishing the environment from the Asset Store on its own and then the package of animation clips to see if they all sync correctly.

10. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

Thank you guys, I tried and it worked like a charm. I love this service as it is a super convenient way to synch between two computers and saves a lot of time for me as a solo user. I have Unity Personal edition, and I was wondering is there a max limit that you can reach as one user in terms of file size? For example, once I have uploaded lets say 10GB of files, will it stop me from synching between the two computers until I upgrade as a solo user?

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @UnityFan18! I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying using Collab!

We are not currently enforcing any size limits from now until October. https://unity3d.com/teams has more info on what the limits will be after the free period is over. TLDR; Personal Unity users will get 1GB of cloud storage, but you'll be able to buy 25GB storage packs for $5/month. We go off your project's current size when determining how much cloud storage you're using up. So once you hit your limit, you can either buy storage packs or delete any unused assets to give you more room.

12. lpchow

lpchow

hi, sorry to hijack this post, but i also ran into some issues when using unity collab with one user acct but across 2 machines. hope someone can help me.

working on the proj on my home and work pc. work pc have numerous changes that i have not edited shown in the to publish dialogue. so i revert all these changes or restore to the latest commit, but the same changes still appear.

i have deleted the local project folder on my work pc, reinstall unity hub and re-pull the latest commits. but when i open up the project folder, the same changes still appear.

unity collab was great until i ran into this issue which prevent me from working on different pc while collaborating with others.

--edit--
    i tried while logging into another unity acct on my work com, but the prob exists too. could be some local conflicts on my work com... continue investigating

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  13. behpi

behpi

What do you mean "In The Cloud"?

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

This is a reference to your list of projects that you can view in Unity Hub that have not been downloaded to your local machine yet (any project that's grayed out).

15. Nixlim

Nixlim