Search Unity

[SOLVED] Camera not rendering negative values to render texture

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by keenanwoodall, Jun 25, 2019.

1. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

[Edit] Solution:
    Go to the camera that is drawing to the render texture, enable custom frame settings and turn "Postprocess" off under the Rendering foldout. This is only a problem in HDRP because post processing is disabled by default and I guess it doesn't allow negative values.

-----------------------------------

I'm trying to render particles with positive and negative colors to a render texture for 2d displacement but the render texture appears to only receive or store positive values.The shader used by the particle system should be outputting colors darker than black (I tried outputting a constant (-1,-1,-1) to the color output to be sure), and the render texture I'm using is R16G16_SFLOAT so I'm not sure what could be preventing the camera from rendering negative values.

Any ideas? I'm new to using render textures so it may be something basic I'm missing.

Here's the shader used by the particle system. It's based off of the shader used to do render texture-based displacement in this writeup. I'm trying to do something very similar to the write-up, but I'm adding velocity to particles rather than moving vertices.
    upload_2019-6-25_15-54-31.png

Here's the camera:
    upload_2019-6-25_15-57-26.png

Here's the Render Texture:
    upload_2019-6-25_15-56-41.png

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. bgolus

bgolus

How are you validating the values are or aren't negative?

3. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

To be absolutely certain negative values weren't working I output a constant (-10, -10, -10, -10) to the color output in shadergraph. I also tried (-10, -10, -10, 1) in case having a negative alpha might be a messing something up. Either way, the particle velocity remained untouched when the shader ouput negative colors.

4. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Here's the difference:

(-10, -10, -10, -10) -> Color Output
    5hUipkrYxo.gif

(1, 1, 1, 1) -> Color Output
    Qq8AvnCnop.gif

Here's the actual shader I'm trying to use. As you can see, particles are only thrown up and to the right, even though particles that land on the left should get thrown to the left

5. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Ok the solution is to go to the camera that is drawing to the render texture, enable custom frame settings and turn "Postprocess" off under the Rendering foldout.

bgolus likes this.
  6. julienh_unity

julienh_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @keenanwoodall !
    I am in a similar situation as you are. I am trying to read the RT from the ShaderGraph, and it looks like there is no negative values there.
    I did disable the postprocess on the camera.

Have you tried sampling the RT from a shadergraph, did it work as expected ?

Edit: No, after checking the content of the RT itself, it looks like it doesn't contain any negative values, so it is the same issue as you had. But for some reason, disabling PostProcesses on the camera doesn't cut it for me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  7. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Is the render texture set to a format that supports negative values? I just made a test project and was able to get it to work. I will note that I was getting a 'graphicsFormat != kFormatNone' error on some color formats, but R16G16B16A16_SFLOAT seems ok.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  8. julienh_unity

julienh_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for answering ! The RT texture format was correct, but I finally figured out what my issue was: The ColorBufferFormat in our project's HDRP settings was set to R11G11B10, which is unsigned. <Facepalm>

keenanwoodall likes this.
  9. mrc_akka

mrc_akka

I have the same problem.

A camera with every custom frame disabled (so the postprocess) rendering in a r32_sfloat render texture as its color buffer without depth buffer (not test). The material is a transparent additive with no depth test, so every fragments should be added in the color buffer.
    My material is rendering through the hdrp/unlit node base color input.

Why is it important to setup the Color buffer format of HDRP/rendering section ? Does'nt the hdrp/unlit node should automatically render as r32_sfloat since are put this as the render target of my camera?
    BTW it seems no signed choice are available in this combo.

Actually reffering to HDRP documentation :
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@10.3/manual/Built-In-Blocks.html
    It seems we can't output value out of [0, 1] (actually I can output a value > 1 but not <0), is there another way to do this?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  10. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Did you try the solution in the OP?

11. mrc_akka

mrc_akka

Sorry but what is the "OP"?

12. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Original post - the first post :)

13. mrc_akka

mrc_akka

Ok :) Yes I try to disable post process :
    upload_2021-2-2_15-3-14.png

14. ryanflees

ryanflees

Have similar issue and can't fix it.(Camera's post is disabled, render texture cube has signed format, change color buffer of HDRP. none helps
    However, it's easier for just a workaround to convert your negative values into positive value before using it.
    For example, I need a cubemap to record the world normal of the scene from the view of a position.
    I'll draw the world normal (from -1 to 1) into a positive value (from 0 to 1), then when sampling the cubemap I will convert it back.