Search Unity

  1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] C# private global variable value changing by itself

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by brainfire9, Mar 25, 2016.

  1. brainfire9


    Feb 3, 2015
    Hi All,

    I've run into a really strange problem in Unity Personal 5.3.2f1, some of the global variables I am using in my scripts seem to be resetting (so far an integer and a boolean, both private).

    This script is on an empty GameObject and was working fine for a while, I prefab'd some of my objects (including this GameManager) and now I'm seeing this problem.

    In this example I was originally getting a return of 4 on line 13 (4 scenes in my game), started noticing that my "Next Level" button (which calls LoadNextLevel() ) was reloading the same level over and over after making this into a prefab. I decided to define numberOfScenes as 4 on line 14, still getting the same result. Added some Debug.Log statements and a watch variable and saw that my numberOfScenes value seems to initialize just fine but goes to zero right as I get into LoadNextLevel() at line 38. If I set this to Public I can actually see that numberOfScenes stays 4 in the inspector, yet shows 0 in my Debug.Log statement and in the watch window so I'm thinking I've got something going on here.

    My workaround for now is to set the value at 4 again in line 43, but I'm wondering if I've made some really silly mistake somewhere or if I should really reload a backup of my project from before this mess started and start over from there. I can also make this work correctly by changing Line 7 to "public int numberOfScenes = 4", but I'd really rather detect the number of levels.

    I have deleted the GameManager from this scene, created a new empty GameObject, added this script to it, and still get the same result.

    Does anything jump out as to why this value would be changing from 4 back to 0?

    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    5. public class GameManager : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     private int numberOfScenes;
    9.     // Use this for initialization
    10.     void Start ()
    11.     {
    12.         // TODO fix the scene count
    13.         //numberOfScenes = SceneManager.sceneCountInBuildSettings;
    14.         numberOfScenes = 4;
    15.         Debug.Log("Number of scenes: " + numberOfScenes);
    16.     }
    18.     public void ReloadLevel()
    19.     {
    20.         // Disable "Next Level" button and reload the current scene
    22.         FindObjectOfType<NextLevelButton>().Disable();
    23.         SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex);
    24.     }
    26.     public void QuitGame()
    27.     {
    28.         Debug.Log ("Quitting game!");
    29. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    30.         if (UnityEditor.EditorApplication.isPlaying)
    31.             UnityEditor.EditorApplication.isPlaying = false;
    32.         else
    33. #endif
    34.             Application.Quit();
    36.     }
    38.     public void LoadNextLevel()
    39.     {
    40.         int thisLevel, nextLevel;
    42.         // TODO fix numberOfScenes
    43.         //numberOfScenes = 4;
    44.         Debug.Log("Number of scenes: " + numberOfScenes);
    45.         thisLevel = SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex;
    47.         if (thisLevel >= numberOfScenes - 1)
    48.             nextLevel = 0;
    49.         else
    50.             nextLevel = thisLevel + 1;
    52.         Debug.Log ("Loading scene #" + nextLevel);
    53.         SceneManager.LoadScene(nextLevel);
    54.     }
    55. }
  2. mathias234


    Sep 9, 2012
    I cannot see what would change it that early on, as the only assign to 0 is after the debug. might be a bug in the editor. try to put the script in a new empty project
  3. Austin-Gregory


    Sep 19, 2013
    I'm not getting what you're getting. Something is happening somewhere else.
  4. brainfire9


    Feb 3, 2015
    Thanks guys, I think something has happened to my project -- better to catch it now. I just created a new project with only the GameManager object and script and it works as expected. I'll create a new project and start bringing my assets over, should have thought of trying that in the first place.

    Thanks again!