Search Unity

[SOLVED] (C#) Calling OnTriggerExit when collider destroyed.

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Gunging, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Gunging

Gunging

Hello everyone, I am being troubled by a logic problem here:
    When a collider is inside a trigger, and the trigger is destroyed or disabled, OnTriggerExit() is not called, however I remember this used to cause it to run so the code that once worked is broken.

The thing that makes this annoying, is that the trigger is a gravity aura of a blackhole, and when the player's spaceship is in range, the player script calls OnTriggerEnter with the following code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void OnTriggerEnter(Collider coll) {
    2.         if (coll.attachedRigidbody.gameObject.name == "Gravity Aura") { Warn("Caught in a Gravity Aura!", 2); }
    3.     }
    And well, whenever the player escapes by just going far enough from the blackhole, OnTriggerExit is called correctly:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void OnTriggerExit(Collider coll) {
    2.         if (coll.attachedRigidbody.gameObject.name == "Gravity Aura" && warning == 2) { Warn("", 0); }
    3.     }
    But, when the blackhole is destroyed, OnTriggerExit is not called, so the pop-up window that tells the player they are caught in a gravity aura never goes away.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Warn(string reason, int warningId) {
    2.         if (reason == "") { //Disables all pop-up window elements
    3.             floatingWarning.enabled = false;
    4.             floatingWarningText.enabled = false;
    5.             holoWarning.enabled = false;
    6.             holoWarningText.enabled = false;
    7.             warning = 0;
    8.         } else { //Enables all pop-up window elements, states the reason.
    9.              floatingWarning.enabled = true;
    10.              floatingWarningText.enabled = true;
    11.              floatingWarningText.text = reason;
    12.              holoWarning.enabled = true;
    13.              holoWarningText.enabled = true;
    14.              holoWarningText.text = reason;
    15.              warning = warningId;
    17.         }
    18.     }

If you have a suggestion to call the void Warn() with simpler code, please share it :)

Thanks in advance

2. methos5k

methos5k

I remember hearing about this "issue", I think.

I think you could track if the user was inside it ( a script on the blackhole) & on it's disable you could send a notification to the player (if they're inside). This could be a list if more than the player is susceptible. I suppose you could do this on the player, too, just might be easier on the specific object.

I did a quick search and saw a few people say that you could also move the object in question before destroying it, thus forcing the exit to occur before it's disabled/destroyed.

Stexe and Gunging like this.
  3. Gunging

Gunging

For the record, moving the collider to someplace far away works only if the collider is enabled during the moment the displacing takes happens.

Thanks