Search Unity

[SOLVED] BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.1.2) failed running

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tommohawkaction, Aug 3, 2019.

1. tommohawkaction

tommohawkaction

Hello,
    Second time writing this as my first post was deleted as it was in wrong forum, if thats the case again please just move it to the correct forum thanks

Okay so I've made a little script to build my game on certain platforms
    I've started on the x64 build but when it builds it comes up saying BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.1.2) failed running.

It works using the Unitys build tool but using the BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer it doesn't

Things I've tried

Reinstalling Visual Studio 2019
    Updating the brust compiler (Should be the up to date one)
    Changing build platform x64 x86

Code (CSharp):
    1. BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.1.2) failed running
    5. stdout:
    7. Burst requires Visual Studio (installable via Add Component in the Unity Installer) or the C++ build tools for Visual Studio, along with the Windows 10 SDK in order to build a standalone player for Windows with X64_SSE4
    9. Unable to determine tools version of MSVC Linker, please ensure you have visual studio installed correctly!
    11. stderr:
    14. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunProgram (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:659)
    15. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:597)
    16. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:571)
    17. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLsImpl (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:286)
    18. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:46)
    19. UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildPipelineInterfaces.cs:452)
    20. UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayer(EditorBuildSettingsScene[], String, BuildTarget, BuildOptions)
    21. EditorBuildTool:Build(BuildTarget, BuildOptions) (at Assets/Editor/BuildTools/EditorBuildTool.cs:42)
    22. EditorBuildTool:BuildPipeLine(BuildTarget, BuildOptions, String[]) (at Assets/Editor/BuildTools/EditorBuildTool.cs:33)
    23. EditorBuildTool:BuildDevelopment64() (at Assets/Editor/BuildTools/EditorBuildTool.cs:16)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Nebukam

Nebukam

Same issue here, although using the regular "build and run" process. Same callstack.

fail in both 2019.1.10f1 and 2019.3.0a10

Code (CSharp):
    1. BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.1.2) failed running
    5. stdout:
    7. Burst requires Visual Studio (installable via Add Component in the Unity Installer) or the C++ build tools for Visual Studio, along with the Windows 10 SDK in order to build a standalone player for Windows with X64_SSE4
    9. Unable to determine tools version of MSVC Linker, please ensure you have visual studio installed correctly!
    11. stderr:
    14. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunProgram (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:659)
    15. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:597)
    16. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:571)
    17. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLsImpl (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:286)
    18. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:46)
    19. UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildPipelineInterfaces.cs:452)
    20. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  3. Grizmu

Grizmu

Got the same problem. Seen some people fixing it by reinstalling the Unity with Visual Studio component sellected in the installator, but haven't tried it myself. Still we can all agree that by having all of the required components it should pretty much just work™.

4. Nebukam

Nebukam

You know when they say "the user is the issue"...
    Finally solved it.

I was trying to find the problem on Unity's side, checking module and everything, however when re-reading the error message it occured to me that VS was only setup for C# (because why wouldn't it be if you're only working with unity) -- and so (as clearly written black on white in the log), I was actually missing VS C++ compiler (Win 10 plateform should come with C# by default, although check your setup because you need it too)

Here's how to add it :

upload_2019-8-5_18-7-0.png

Needless to say, editor stopped complaining and Burst compiles fine. Duh.

5. tommohawkaction

tommohawkaction

Haha, yeah. I actually figured this out on the day I posted it, but couldn't delete the post.
    Thanks though

6. Grizmu

Grizmu

Wow. Here the Desktop development with C++ was ticked in the Visual Studio Installer, and burst compilation still didn't work. It had to be unticked and ticked again, then it apparently found some missing components and reinstalled them.

Thanks for the tip @Nebukam!

7. NewFrequency

NewFrequency

Unity - Window - package Manager - advanced - reset packages to default fixed it for me.

8. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Thank you, that was perfect.

Have a wonderful week

9. Rs

Rs

NEVER delete posts anyway! This was useful to me today! Thank you @tommohawkaction and @Nebukam

10. kslesinsky

kslesinsky

Thanks @tommohawkaction and @Nebukam. After installing the "Desktop development with C++" workload I still couldn't build - and figured I also needed the "Universal Windows Platform development" workload in order to get the Windows 10 SDK. But after installing that it still didn't work. Then I realized what was going on. Besides Visual Studio 2017 (which is where these workloads were installed) I also had a barebones version of VS 2019 installed (without the workloads). After uninstalling VS 2019 I was able to build. So it must have had to do with the "Unable to determine tools version of MSVC Linker" error. It must have been looking under the VS2019 installation and not finding the C++ compiler.

Wanted to share this in case it helps anyone else out there!

vildauget and dsilverthorn like this.
  11. Sab_Rango

Sab_Rango

Hey
    The same thing happened to me and I just deleted VS2017 file that was empty; the editor tried to catch VS 2017 that was existed file but empty ,
    So I deleted VS 2017 file

Then that 4 error gone!

dotssssssss.PNG

Tyler_Carroll and bobchalmers like this.
  12. BeardyKing

BeardyKing

Confirmed solution for 2019.3.0f6

13. vs6090192

vs6090192

Hello guys i am new developen and developing a fps game with the tutorial of Brackeys on youtube i Followed it correctly. Then Brackeys says to build it for some trial he built it with no errors , But in mine i have this errors
    unity Burst failed (1.1.1)
    please save me guys
    and yes this error is clearable

14. kurtataylor

kurtataylor

This error can come from not having Visual Studio Community installed.
    I am a full time enterprise developer, and I develop in Visual Studio Enterprise. I didn't think I needed Community. I was updating my version to the new LTS version of Unity and I saw that it offered to let you download Community edition. So, I thought, huh...could that be the problem. So I agreed to install...and tested it right away. It built, no problemo.
    Make sure you have Community if you are using Burst in Unity, which you probably want to be using if you are using Unity's 2DAnimation tools extensively.

15. swishon

swishon

This worked Perfectly.. Thanks

16. bobchalmers

bobchalmers

Nebukam's solution didn't work for me - I already C++ installed in VS2019.

Sab_Rango's solution of deleting the empty 2017 folder DID work! What a ridiculous bug!!!

17. Purpleglo

Purpleglo

If you don't want to use Burst Compilation. Go to Windows>Package Manager>Advanced Project Settings>Burst AOT Settings>Disable Burst Compilation.. Tick that and Errors will be gone

18. OsamaDeep

OsamaDeep

i tried all above, not work, the solution was just update it from package manager from 1.1.1 to +1.3 , it solve the problem.

19. arnav44epicdragon

arnav44epicdragon

i know im like 2 years late but man THANK YOU!

20. gideonsenecal

gideonsenecal

HI! I'm getting the same problem on Mac... except it is 1.2.3 build compiler

21. josh_unity348

josh_unity348

Thanks from 2021 this S*** saved me 30 mins from submission papa bless

Nebukam likes this.
  22. The_Thinker

The_Thinker

That along with making sure the installer was updated to the latest version fixed it for me.

23. PatrickkLiu

PatrickkLiu

Upgrading to burst 1.3+ in package manager solved my issue!

takec40 likes this.
  24. harryscott107

harryscott107

For me Unity was searching for VS 2019, had to install that for it to work.

25. Sanjay112000

Sanjay112000

Thanks .It helped me

agnis16 and manurocker95 like this.
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have to the same problem

27. sonicdesordre

sonicdesordre

I can't pass the Burstv1.6.5 compiler error ( trying to build export my project from Unity 2021.3.2f1 to Visual Studio 2022 UWP ).
    I have installed all the addons of Visual Studio 2022. The project works fine on the Unity editor. In my case the Burst package is a dependency of the Universal RP package. So whenever I install Universal RP package (which I have to ) , I cannot build export the project anymore.

Below I have attached the error output, I appreciate your help, really stuck here. bursterror.jpg

28. akshaypro02

akshaypro02

Perfect work

29. raggnic

raggnic

Add the C++ build tools for your target, they are included for X86/X64 if you select C++ desktop development in Visual Installer, or you can select them as individual components (i.e. for ARM32/ARM64)

upload_2022-8-26_12-29-40.png

PrimePeter likes this.
  30. PrimePeter

PrimePeter

@ra
    Totally saved my life. I tested all the things before, but somehow was completely blind for the "Individual Components".

Depending on your set-up, the right components will not be in the tool sets proposed from Visual Studio installer.

You have to manually add the Components in Individual Components, for example If you wanted to build with VS Community 2019, Unity 2021.3.4 for HoloLens2 bzw. ARM64

31. Beatdones

Beatdones

Thanks to all the people who have previously dedicated time and effort to find a solution.
    In case it still happens to someone and has tried everything above without results.
    I am on Unity version 2021.3.23f1 and I only got the error when using the IWorldAI library https://inworld.ai/
    When I looked at the logs in Jobs > Burst > Open Inspector I saw that I had an error in the Newtonsoft's library.
    I reinstalled it and it worked without problems.

https://rehtse-studio.medium.com/ma...ft's Json.NET Package,json press Add and done

I hope I've helped.

32. elhongo

elhongo

had VS Community 2019 and 2022 installed. Had to uninstall 2022 and this fixed the error

33. viv3k19

viv3k19

It worked for me! Thank you