Search Unity

[SOLVED] BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.1.2) failed running

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tommohawkaction, Aug 3, 2019.

1. tommohawkaction

tommohawkaction

Hello,
    Second time writing this as my first post was deleted as it was in wrong forum, if thats the case again please just move it to the correct forum thanks

Okay so I've made a little script to build my game on certain platforms
    I've started on the x64 build but when it builds it comes up saying BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.1.2) failed running.

It works using the Unitys build tool but using the BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer it doesn't

Things I've tried

Reinstalling Visual Studio 2019
    Updating the brust compiler (Should be the up to date one)
    Changing build platform x64 x86

Code (CSharp):
    1. BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.1.2) failed running
    5. stdout:
    7. Burst requires Visual Studio (installable via Add Component in the Unity Installer) or the C++ build tools for Visual Studio, along with the Windows 10 SDK in order to build a standalone player for Windows with X64_SSE4
    9. Unable to determine tools version of MSVC Linker, please ensure you have visual studio installed correctly!
    11. stderr:
    14. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunProgram (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:659)
    15. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:597)
    16. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:571)
    17. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLsImpl (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:286)
    18. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:46)
    19. UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildPipelineInterfaces.cs:452)
    20. UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayer(EditorBuildSettingsScene[], String, BuildTarget, BuildOptions)
    21. EditorBuildTool:Build(BuildTarget, BuildOptions) (at Assets/Editor/BuildTools/EditorBuildTool.cs:42)
    22. EditorBuildTool:BuildPipeLine(BuildTarget, BuildOptions, String[]) (at Assets/Editor/BuildTools/EditorBuildTool.cs:33)
    23. EditorBuildTool:BuildDevelopment64() (at Assets/Editor/BuildTools/EditorBuildTool.cs:16)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Nebukam

Nebukam

Same issue here, although using the regular "build and run" process. Same callstack.

fail in both 2019.1.10f1 and 2019.3.0a10

Code (CSharp):
    1. BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.1.2) failed running
    5. stdout:
    7. Burst requires Visual Studio (installable via Add Component in the Unity Installer) or the C++ build tools for Visual Studio, along with the Windows 10 SDK in order to build a standalone player for Windows with X64_SSE4
    9. Unable to determine tools version of MSVC Linker, please ensure you have visual studio installed correctly!
    11. stderr:
    14. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunProgram (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:659)
    15. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:597)
    16. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:571)
    17. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLsImpl (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:286)
    18. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.2/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:46)
    19. UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildPipelineInterfaces.cs:452)
    20. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  3. Griz

Griz

Got the same problem. Seen some people fixing it by reinstalling the Unity with Visual Studio component sellected in the installator, but haven't tried it myself. Still we can all agree that by having all of the required components it should pretty much just work™.

4. Nebukam

Nebukam

You know when they say "the user is the issue"...
    Finally solved it.

I was trying to find the problem on Unity's side, checking module and everything, however when re-reading the error message it occured to me that VS was only setup for C# (because why wouldn't it be if you're only working with unity) -- and so (as clearly written black on white in the log), I was actually missing VS C++ compiler (Win 10 plateform should come with C# by default, although check your setup because you need it too)

Here's how to add it :

upload_2019-8-5_18-7-0.png

Needless to say, editor stopped complaining and Burst compiles fine. Duh.

5. tommohawkaction

tommohawkaction

Haha, yeah. I actually figured this out on the day I posted it, but couldn't delete the post.
    Thanks though

6. Griz

Griz

Wow. Here the Desktop development with C++ was ticked in the Visual Studio Installer, and burst compilation still didn't work. It had to be unticked and ticked again, then it apparently found some missing components and reinstalled them.

Thanks for the tip @Nebukam!

Athomield3D and Rowlan like this.
  7. Logik84

Logik84

Unity - Window - package Manager - advanced - reset packages to default fixed it for me.

8. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Thank you, that was perfect.

Have a wonderful week

9. Rs

Rs

NEVER delete posts anyway! This was useful to me today! Thank you @tommohawkaction and @Nebukam

JamesWjRose likes this.
  10. kslesinsky

kslesinsky

Thanks @tommohawkaction and @Nebukam. After installing the "Desktop development with C++" workload I still couldn't build - and figured I also needed the "Universal Windows Platform development" workload in order to get the Windows 10 SDK. But after installing that it still didn't work. Then I realized what was going on. Besides Visual Studio 2017 (which is where these workloads were installed) I also had a barebones version of VS 2019 installed (without the workloads). After uninstalling VS 2019 I was able to build. So it must have had to do with the "Unable to determine tools version of MSVC Linker" error. It must have been looking under the VS2019 installation and not finding the C++ compiler.

Wanted to share this in case it helps anyone else out there!