Search Unity

[Solved] Biped animation in 3DS Max

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Kondor0, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Kondor0

Kondor0

Hi

I'm new with Unity and 3DS Max so i don't know if it's possible to do this or if i'm missing a step but i tried to do this:

- Put a biped to a simple model in 3DS Max.
    - Assign a simple footsteps based animation to the model.
    - Export all as .fbx.
    - Import it in Unity.

The model conserves its animation but it's all messed up as the image shows (it's supposed to be a low poly swordsman):

The fbx export process already send me a warning message regarding the physique modifier and i tried with several variations of the export parameters but i'm still getting the same result.

Now, i tried importing directly the .max file but it also gave me the same result :roll: so i think that i should try something different. Does somebody have any suggestion?

2. Total anarchy

Total anarchy

can you explain what your modifier stack looks like?

3. Kondor0

Kondor0

My modifier stack only has the editable poly and a physique modifier.

Now, i've been searching in the forums and other people had the same problem so they were instructed to use the skin modifier instead of the physique.

I did the same and the model is not distorted anymore but the animation is not working now... anyway, i feel like i'm closer now to make it work, i'll keep searching.

4. Total anarchy

Total anarchy

yeah, thats really what i would have suggested too.

anyway, about your animations not exporting.
    What version of max are you exporting from and what FBX version are you using.

Im using 2011, exporting out at FBX2010 as FBX 2011 doesnt export animations.

Let me know how you go.

5. Kondor0

Kondor0

It's funny, i was about to post the same (i'll be out of your brain now XD). Anyway, now it works.

Thanks.

6. super_jerry

super_jerry

I experience the same issues. I just simply request exporter to export the fbx at 200611 fbx, and it works fine. I guess there are some bugs existed at the latest either exporter or 3dsmax fbx reader.

7. stefano001

stefano001

Also keep in mind that FBX 2011 is not backward compatible with previous versions of FBX.
    A new version of the FBXplugin 2011.3 came out recently. There you can also export in previous versions of FBX. On mixamo.com we just switched to FBXSDK 2011 in order to be able to read all formats on input seamlessly but we still provide the standard FBX on download (not the FBX2011).
    In general, if you don't have the latest (2011) tools I would recommend FBX 2009.3, being that one a very stable release.

8. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

9. Kondor0

Kondor0

Yeah, i found that plugin during my research. Everything is starting to work now.

Thanks.

10. a_haouchar

a_haouchar

How did you get it to work???

I uninstalled fbx 2011.3 and installed 2009 version and still it displays 2011.3 in max???

My animations still arent exported.