Search Unity

Audio [SOLVED - apps were muted in volume mixer] No audio in editor, but it does play in stand-alone

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by drsalvation, Dec 18, 2019.

1. drsalvation

drsalvation

[EDIT: For people who happen to have similar issues]
    In my case, the programs were muted in the audio mixer.

Some other solutions in case you have similar issues, so at least this thread isn't a complete waste of time to you hehe.
    Some people have reported that going to project settings->audio and switching the sample rate from 0 to 1 (and later going back to 0) helped them.
    Also, make sure the game window doesn't have "mute audio" toggled.
    Make sure your volume mixer isn't muting your software.

//I'll just leave the original post down below.

I've seen this question asked several times, and none of them are exactly like my current issue;
    There's no audio in the unity editor at all, and yes, I've checked that the 'mute audio' button isn't active. Even when I try to preview an audio clip in the editor, it says it's playing, but there's just no sound.
    I tried fixing the sample rate from 0, to 1 and back to 0 as was suggested on another thread, but that didn't work.

Now, I've noticed several different issues; The first time the lack of audio was present, it was while playing Fallout 4, but playing other games like skyrim or resident evil 2, or even new vegas, there IS audio.
    So I'm guessing that the unity editor has a similar issue with fallout 4, which makes me believe it's not exactly the fault of those programs, but something in my system which I can't diagnose.
    I've trying changing my speaker settings, altering the default format to suggested values, disabling spatial sound.

The reason I post here is because there has to be some common denominator between fallout and the unity editor, but not the unity stand-alone applications.
    I also tried a completely new project, and it has the same issue.

Now, my computer HAS had a couple of BSOD's (thread stuck in device driver), I was assuming it had to do with my mouse (since they didn't happen until I got it), but I'm starting to guess it's related to my audio? (Every other app, music, movies, internet browsers, pretty much every other game, everything that plays audio works fine, just not the unity editor and fallout 4 [I did a clean reinstall of fallout 4, but didn't fix anything, so I doubt a clean reinstall of unity would help])

Any suggestions as to what might be causing the issues?
    I have Unity 2019.2.14f1

Do you think the audio issues with Unity are directly related to the audio issues with Fallout?

The only reason I brought fallout in to this is because I'm no longer sure if it's just a unity problem, or a system problem.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. doarp

doarp

A clean format is an option.
    Did you look at audio mixer settings? Any chance unity and fallout are muted?

3. drsalvation

drsalvation

I usually avoid posting on forums because I can find similar issues that would put me on track to find the issue and fix it.
    This is the first time I had to post something in years since I was now at my wit's end.

For some reason, which I'll never understand how it happened, yeah, they were both muted in the audio mixer.
    I don't know how that happened.

But now I must exile for another 4 years in shame until I have to come back with a complex question with a simple solution hehe.

I owe you big time!

doarp likes this.
  4. arkore

arkore

In my case, the "Mute Audio" button was on, in Game view. Make sure this is off.

I'm not sure how it got pressed. I pressed Play to test my game, and after 1 second, everything suddenly became muted and I couldn't figure out how.

I found this forum post when searching online for a solution.