Search Unity

[SOLVED] Any way to make this interesting?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by jlorenzi, Jun 25, 2022.

1. jlorenzi

jlorenzi

I'm making a backrooms game, the way you escape level 0 is by noclipping through a wall. The way you noclip is by continuously running in to a wall. There's a note that you can find on the floor when you wander far enough, I thought that if it just outright told you how to noclip that would be boring, so I want to make it like a puzzle. My best idea for the text on the note was it to say
    WALL = DOOR
    RUN = KEY

but that seems a bit too vauge and I don't think people are gonna get it. So if you have a better idea please let me know.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Can you bake it into the game's backstory, like Portal did with its clues?

Or what about essentially a 3D version of Baba Is You, where you can move around some blocks to enable noclipping through the wall?

3. jlorenzi

jlorenzi

I don't think the mechanics of Baba Is You would work in a backrooms horror game. I do like the idea of having it be a mysterious clue about the games backstory, I could have it be a lost log from some of the MEG explorers about how noclipping effects different levels. Thanks.

4. turp182

turp182

Idea. Provide a clue, maybe a visual/note to identify the wall. Once clue is found, maybe have a tortoise and a rabbit on the wall, decoratively, maybe paintings. Highlight the rabbit in some way to denote running is needed.

Running isn't a usual escape room mechanic, especially through a wall... I like the idea.

5. sngdan

sngdan

Harry Potter

6. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I would personally drop the clipping through a wall idea and instead do a 4-d maze.

Make it so that the rooms loaded in do not necessarily repeat.