Search Unity

[SOLVED] Android build size grew 142% on 4.6 RC1

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by ma.parizeau, Nov 8, 2014.

1. ma.parizeau

ma.parizeau

HI,

I just installed the 4.6 RC1 and now when I build to Android, my apk file is 20.8 MB. Before, it was 14.6 MB. This is a HUGE difference considering I only have 15 scenes at the moment.

I deleted the library, project settings, obj, temp folders and the VS files but I still have the same problems. (Of course I redid my settings...)

So here's a recap:

On 4.5.5, my build was 14.6 MB
    On 4.6.b20 it was 14.6 MB (I did a backup of the entire project folder)
    I added Uni2D, build went up to 17 MB approx.
    I did some tinkering around and reloaded my backup project that was originally giving me a build of 14.6 MB
    Now on 4.6 RC1 my build is 20.8 MB

So what is the problem?

2. -JohnMore-

-JohnMore-

The default device target in Android build settings is now Fat binary (x86+ARMv7) so your size has increased. It happened to me too, choose just ARMVv7 and it will go back to it's previous size, but you will need to build 2 versions one for ARM and one for x86.

3. ma.parizeau

ma.parizeau

Yep, that did it. tanks...

Is it best to leave it at Fat binary (x86+ARMv7) to only have one build or is it best to have two separate builds? Because my first guess would be that having two builds will be a bit of a hassle to maintain.

4. -JohnMore-

-JohnMore-

That is for you to decide. If there is no difference between the two builds apart from the device target you can use the Fat binary. If there is diferences or you want the least possible apk size, then you have to bild it twice.

5. maria-dev

maria-dev

What does it means? Build two versions,
    But when we upload to google play so users can download only one build..
    can you please explain me this....

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Google allows you to have target builds to target devices, I believe it is configured in the Manifest, then it will choose the appropriate APK on discovery, it is in the developers console, in the upload APK page- the help / how to...

p-