Search Unity

Resolved [SOLVED] All Visual Effects Graphs are empty after Unity update

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by L_tD, Jan 26, 2023.

1. L_tD

L_tD

Hi,

I'm using a lot of visual effects in my project and after I updated my project from 2022.2.1f1 to 2022.2.3f1 I recognized that all my Visual Effects Graphs are not working anymore.

Thei are all empty if I open them.
    upload_2023-1-26_8-41-59.png

But if I open the file in notepad, I see the effect description.
    upload_2023-1-26_8-42-59.png

If I now do:

upload_2023-1-26_8-43-34.png

All files are emtied and I have to revert the content to get it back.

Is there any known issue regarding my Problem? VFX Graph is at version 14.0.5

upload_2023-1-26_8-44-56.png

Any idea how I can rescue my effects, it would be a problem if they are are gone and I fear this will lead to remove the vfx graph from my project. What would be very sad, because I love it and until now it worked without any serious problem.

Best
    L_tD

Attached Files:

Arnold_2013 likes this.
  2. L_tD

L_tD

Hi,

I tried several things, but nothing worked:
    - deinstalled unity and installed it again
    - deinstalled vfx package and installed it again
    - removed all .meta files from the visual effect prag files

So the only thing left was to check out the project completely new and now it works.
    Seems to be that there was something missconfigured after updating unity, but now it works again.

To theoretically solved :)

3. JonatanKrogh

JonatanKrogh

Having the same problem. What do you mean exactly with "check out the project completely"? Still didn't manage to get any of my effects back!

4. L_tD

L_tD

Hi, I meant I cloned my git repository at an other location on my local drive and added this project to the unity hub. After it it worked for me again.

I hope it will help you.

Best

5. RudyRG3D

RudyRG3D

This bug is on going, and hopefully gets fixed. I do not have as many VFX graphs as yourself, but the only thing that seems to work is opening the VFX graphs (double-clicking on them), and then re-link them once again to their objects. The linking - always - becomes undone, even when there is not an Unity update.

Maybe this is slightly a different situation from you, but Unity should definitely address this. Maybe you can take "[Solved]" off your header, because this should be working super simple and is a bug. Thank you.

(I am running 2022.3.1f1 LTS)

6. thelebaron

thelebaron

Just ran into this myself. Graph is completely empty upon opening, but I can clearly see if recompiling them via Rebuild and Save all actually deletes the information stored on disk and can see the diff in git.

Not sure what relinking is(dragging the asset into the inspector?) but reimporting the asset does nothing. Havent yet tried to wipe the library as of writing.

Edit - a project library wipe doesnt recover them for me
    Second edit - actually they are mostly empty, browsing an old project version from source control and recovered them. Some editor/package upgrade along the road must have nuked them(as they all suffer the same characteristics) and just now discovering this after having vfx disabled in my project for quite some time.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  7. scorpioservo

scorpioservo

This is happening to me as well on 2022.3.12. All my VFX graphs have been wiped :(. I have a ton in my project and will need to manually fix each one through my VCS history. This is a huge pain...

Arnold_2013 and FlightFight like this.
  8. Arnold_2013

Arnold_2013

I had this in 2022.3.21f1 when switching platform van Windows to Android and back to Windows. Not all, but some VFXgraphs had become empty. Discarding the changes from source control brought them back, but still needed to open and save some of them to get the exposed properties to work again. So now will need to retest all of them to make sure they all work.
    I don't know if this will work, but next time I will 'search by type' all 'visual effect assets' and export them in a Unity package. If anything gets destroyed it would be easy to import the destroyed ones from the package since it will also contain the folder structure. If this does not work at least you could open the exported ones in a new project and manually copy/paste all the nodes to recover your work.