Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Solution to 3DS Max Biped import problem.

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Hitoru, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Hitoru

Hitoru

Hi, I've been for 3 days trying to figure out the problem with the importing Biped to Unity. I've read a lot in the forum and watch 3dCongnition video tutorial about it too but still the same problem.

I've been comparing the robot model in Character animation sample file in the Unity recourse website along with applying the SampleMoveScript on to my own animated character. Somehow the axis of my character is wrong and screw up the movement controller.

I'm using 3DS Max 2009 SP1 with FBX 2010.0.2 and also try in with the 2009.0 version before that.

Ok, here my step to import my animated character to Unity:

1. Model/texture your character. Make sure your Local pivot point is always at the center of the Object and Y is pointing upwards, X is pointing right on the positive side, Z is point to the front. You can adjust the pivot by going to the Hierarchy Tab and click on affect pivot only button then make your adjustment. Be sure you set the reference coordinate system for select and move and select and rotate is set to Local. By default is set to View. Be sure to always model your character with the front side of character facing towards the front viewport like people normally would. Setup your Unit setting to Generic and in the System Unit Setup choose whatever unit scale you want. For this I use centimeter. This can be applied to Static Object like chair, door ect. too.

2. Now insert your biped and rigged it as you normally do and use the Skin Modifier.

3. After that animate all you want idle, run, jump ect.

4. Now its time to export them. Select all the Object and Biped bones and Export Selected it. This is my FBX settings

I use centimeters because my Unit is in Centimeters. You can Tick the Embed Media if you want FBX to convert images to portable fomat TIFF. If not than untick it. I usually don't Tick it. Also the main problem of all this importing problem is the FBX version. I've try a lot of version and the one that actually work is the 2009.3 version. Please get this one!! It's the only workable FBX version so far for 3DS MAX 2009, I haven't yet try with 3DS Max 8,9, 2008. But looking at 3DCognition video, Max 9 works fine with the FBX 2009.3.
    Here is the link to get it http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13091402

5. After all that, you can now open Unity and try your newly imported animated character. The first thing to see weather or not your animated character is working fine is try to drag your character into the scene and move it away out of its default position and run the simulation and see if the character suddenly pops back to its default position while the character animation is played. If it doesn't pop back to its default position and remains independently then you're on the right track :D. I tested the SampleMoveScript, FPSWalker script and ThirdPersonController script and it all behaves the same way as I apllied it on the other sample model and it works correctly. Now the rest its up to you folks.

So there is the step by step to export an animated character from 3DS Max to Unity and I hope it works for you too. Remember to use FBX 2009.3 ok. If there is any problem or question, we can discuss it further here. Good luck guys!! :wink:

2. Hitoru

Hitoru

Oh! on error that I need to point out from my tutorial. I just notice that you should stick with meters for your units because Unity prefer in meters. Sorry about that minor mistakes. :D

3. softwizz

softwizz

sorry to bump such an old thread but waht do you do if the character suddenly pops back to its default position when the character animation is played.

I have tried importing a .3ds animated biped model into unity using Autodesk FBX convertor 2012.1 and the character sinks halfway into the floor and appears at the same position regardless of where I place it in the scene editor.