Search Unity

SolidWorks Joints in Unity 3D

Discussion in 'Physics' started by sv955, Jun 11, 2018.

1. sv955

sv955

I was trying to import a Motion Simulator assembly built in SolidWorks software to unity 3D for further simulation.
    I was able to succesfully import the model without any problems but I am not able to reassembles the parts after importing.
    I failed to fix some joints which were created using some properties which is specific to SolidWorks software, It includes joints having
    relationships like Concentric, Spherical and Tangent between the joints.I am trying to implement this joints in Unity Physics using Character and
    Configuration Joints.
    my first try is to create a joint which is something similar to the one given in the video below.

How to proceed further? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

DonPuno likes this.
  3. DonPuno

DonPuno

4. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

3dbuzz was awesome explaining how it works in deep. I will really miss him.
    First, learn how a hinge works in deep including restriction looking on youtube.
    Then you can jump to the configurable join that is an extension in more dimensions.
    I notice there is a Lego tutorial when you create a new U 2020 project that probably includes joint physics examples.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  5. DonPuno

DonPuno

Hi @AlanMattano !
    Many thanks for your advices.
    I'm a mechanical engineer with a passion for Unity. I'm convinced, that there a some very intersting concepts for mechanical design applications. For example, AR-, VR-, assembly studies etc.

I'll take a look in the Unity mechanical ristriction concepts for components and "assemblies" a game scene. Maybe I'll publish an article about the concepts and similiarities of mechanical restriction between SolidWorks and Unity. For everyone new, who decides to go the same pathway in the future ^^.

Gracie!

6. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

7. DonPuno

DonPuno

8. Charan_PSR

Charan_PSR

If I may ask, are you guys able to properly import large SOLIDWORKS assemblies into Unity? By 'properly', I mean being able to preserve assembly hierarchy data and materials. If yes, I'd really want to know the workflow