Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Soldier Animation Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Graphicalgeek, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

SoldierAnimationPack.png

Hey All! Just wanted to post my newly released to the asset store: Soldier Animation Pack

LINK TO PLAYABLE DEMO

The Soldier Animation Pack is a full character solution complete with custom character controller w/ Xbox360 support, Mecanim state machine, and 104 high quality animation assets, based off 4 different weapon types, consisting of:

• Idle
    • Walk
    • Run Forward
    • Run Backward
    • Run Left
    • Run Right
    • Jump
    • Fall
    • Land
    • Fire
    • Reload
    • Pain
    • Knockback
    • Dazed
    • Death1
    • Death2
    • Death3
    • Roll
    • Take Cover
    • InCover Idle
    • Exit Cover
    • Throw Grenade
    • Melee1
    • Use Ability
    • Use Item
    • Signal

$Screensho1.png

$Screenshot4.png

$Screenshot2.png

$Screenshot6.png

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

A link to a web player demo or at least a youtube of just the animations playing in 3dsmax or whatever would more clearly indicate what you get with the pack instead of just linking to your game

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Looks good to me. Maybe you could do a complete package where you have the weapons scripted

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. Jaimi

Jaimi

It looks like your characters skeleton only has "Mitten" hands, so unless they've fixed Mecanim to allow multiple bone assignments to the same bone in the avatar, the animations won't work for models that have all five fingers, which seems to be most of them nowadays. Otherwise, looks good.

5. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Thanks for all the feedback! The link does go to a web page with a web player demo, but I can also add a link to a youtube video of the animations playing. I'm also working on a Weapons pack with all the sounds and fx included, and I've stripped the scripts off of them because I figured most people would want to incorporate their own, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to include them. :)

Mechanim will throw a warning about the lack of additional bones, but it doesn't create any errors and I've had no problems running animations with it.

I'm also planning on adding some more animations:

Walks
    Use Item
    Use Ability
    Melee Attack
    Signal
    Jump

Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  6. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

I've added a Walk and Dazed animations for each weapon in the set and submitted an update. I'll get the rest of those animations in the list finished this week!

7. napster

napster

Nice character with fairly animations :)

8. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Thanks napster!

9. midorina

midorina

I've noticed this is part of a game. Do you have plans to sell the game as part of a kit or something similar?

10. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

No, I do not have plans for this. I am not competent enough in programming to be able to provide the quality of support that l would like to offer if I were to release it as a kit, sorry.

11. Ebkac

Ebkac

Can you confirm your web player demo is working properly? I've tried it on two different computers in multiple browsers and it just makes an electronic sound briefly but just a black screen after that.

I'm interested in the animations and potentially the base model too for the game I am making.

Thanks!

12. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Yes, it is working for me as of 3:14pm on Chrome and Firefox, both on Win64x. What computers and browsers have you tried it with?

13. Kinos141

Kinos141

Good Asset, Good Demo.
    Recommendation: You should make it so the mouse position / player direction gives the player more field of view. It was hard to see enemies until they were on top of me.

Great job overall!!

14. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Hey Kinos, thanks for the compliments and feedback! The iOS version has been updated with a more zoomed out camera distance, but I haven't yet updated the Web Build, which I will do! :)

15. midorina

midorina

What's the news on these animations?

16. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

The Walks and Jumps are in the last update, the others I will get in and submitted this weekend.

17. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

I got the Melee and Item anims done, but I didn't get to the others. I'll finish them more tomorrow night, and I've also decided to add the following:

Death2
    Death3
    Climb
    Knockback

18. Toli

Toli

Going to try and get this linked into mecanim, is there a preferable way to do this ?

19. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

If you make an Avatar out of the base Soldier.FBX with:

Animation Type: Humanoid

Avatar Definition: Create from this Model

Keep Additional Bones: Checked

$SoldierAvatar1.jpg

And then configure the Mapping as follows:

$SoldierAvatar2.jpg $SoldierAvatar3.jpg

When you import all the animations, use these settings, and point them to the SoldierAvatar from the first step:

$SoldierAvatar4.jpg

20. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

The following anims are finished and added:

• Walk
    • Use Item
    • Use Ability
    • Melee1
    • Signal
    • Jump
    • Fall
    Package is submitted and pending review!

Next ToDo:
    • Knockback
    • Death2
    • Death3
    • Climb

21. allpay

allpay

Is it possible to animate two different characters such away like this?

22. Roidz99

Roidz99

i noticed that a few animations are screwed up after converting them to humanoid.

For example the Run_Rifle animation is screwed up:
    $2013-08-21_0315.png

Can you please doublecheck this ?

23. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Sorry, didn't get any auto notify of this post. Yes, it should be possible by just making a separate Avatar out of another mesh.

24. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

That doesn't look good...poor guy! I'll look into this later tonight! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

25. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

$run_rifle.png

This is what I see when I set the Run_Rifle using the Avatar created from the Soldier model. I tried it without setting up a Source Avatar and turned on IK and I was able to get the same looking results that you have.

$BrokeLegs.png

What are you Rig Avatar settings on that Run_Rifle animation?

26. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

I will add a Unity4 package to this asset with the Avatar and all the animation Rig pre-setup.

27. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

The Unity4 package update has been submitted. :)

28. chelnok

chelnok

Nice pack.. but webplayer not working here. It loads to 100%, then i hear a sound, and then crash. Mac, firefox (latest osx and all up to date)

29. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Thanks, and thanks for reporting the issue! I will look into it this weekend.

30. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Also, the Unity4 package submission was accepted, so if you were having an issue with the animations and rig, please try updating and let me know if you're still having a problem.

I will be adding Knockback and additional Death animations this weekend! :)

31. Roidz99

Roidz99

I downloaded the update and i still get the same result graphicalgeek.

A lot of animations are working, but quiet a few are not.

I do this:
    - i go to an animation, then by RIG i set it to humanoid.
    - I leave avatar definition to 'create from this model'.

i notice that with the animations that don't work ,the configure button haves a X infront of it, if i try to configure, it won't allow you to automap them.

Is it possible that you convert them to humanoid yourself. I think most people will need to rig to be humanoid anyway. That way you can test every animation to work for sure.

EDIT: the running shooting animations are very important to me at this point for me right now and those are the ones that don't seem to work proper at this time.
    I tried using the normal rifle shooting animation (works) but when the soldier is standing still and shooting it puts his left leg forward and shoots like that, which doesn't work for my game/character well. So i'm hoping the running shooting animations will work out better for it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  32. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Are you using the new Soldier Prefab for Unity4? It sounds like you're using IK and that's overriding the animations. Also, the avatar definition for the animations should be created from the base model. That's all setup in the new Prefab.

33. Roidz99

Roidz99

i'm not using the prefab ,i'm using my own character, just using the animations for it.

34. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Can you perhaps make a video of what's happening, or send your project? I've not had any issues, or received any other notice of issues with that animation, or any animations, so I'm thinking its some other setting or thing affecting the animations.

35. johny

johny

Sorry for the possibly silly question I am completely new to programming animations.

I want the character to aim his rifle up when he sees an enemy and fire when it is in range. Problem is the fire animation has the character lift the weapon, fire, then lower the weapon so it looks stupid when he fires more than 1 shot. Is there an easy fix I just dont see?

36. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

You should be able to just split the clip in the FBX import setting to make a new animation of just the firing.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/FBXImporter-Animations.html

When I get home later, I'll give you the exact frame range.

37. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Oh, you should use frames 1-6.

38. johny

johny

So I added a weapon in the prop rifle position and tested the animations and it worked great and then added a script that does nothing but store some info. Suddenly the weapon just rotates 90* and stays facing down doing nothing. I removed the script and it still does it.

It has nothing to do with my script as it doesnt do anything but its still broken. Any ideas?

39. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Without being able to look at it, I would guess that somehow the hierarchy changed and the weapon is no longer parented?

40. JimRoot

JimRoot

Hey,
    I bought your packages some time ago (the animation and soldiers/weapons pack) and just wanted to ask if its possible to share the soucefile from the webplayer demo that you have here: http://www.explosivegames.net/soldiers-and-weapons-pack/

or just a simple demo with switching weapons. shooting, throwing granades, rolling around and so on

41. ahaaac

ahaaac

this animations are cool but some problem with blending and IK

Let's see pic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  42. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

You are looking for the code for these you mean?

43. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

For the majority of the animations, the prop bone animates along with the hand bone. Which animations are you blending between here?

44. JimRoot

JimRoot

yes

45. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

That would be great if you could. I would like this also.

46. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

The code for that stuff is all tied up in a bunch of other game functions, and I'm not really a programmer so I've held off on including that stuff. I tried to separate out the functions, but I wasn't making much progress, and I don't want to include something that I can't well support. Perhaps in the future I'll have someone that can handle that side of things...hopefully!

47. gusdp

gusdp

Hello,

I have bought the pack some days ago and I have found several issues with the Mecanim package. I found the bone B_Prop1 is not correctly mapped, if you try to use it to position the diferent weapons they result positioned at the feet level of the character. Also the animations are not exactly the same as the non-mecanim mapped ones. See the following image of the Run_Rifle animation, the left one is the non-mecanim one, the right one is using mecanim, the thumb on the left hand is not positioned the same way as the non-mecanim animation (it looks odd) $soldier_mecanim_vs_nonmecanim.png

It seems the Mecanim package was not tested properly when the author release it. Please fix these issues, specially the B_Prop1 bone one since this is critical to position the weapon correctly or provide instructions on how to do it by myself (user ahaac is experiencing the same problem).

The animations are great but the asset is poorly documented, you mostly need to figure out how to enable the different weapons by yourself.

Update: I found another inconsistency on the mecanim and legacy animations, this is for the Idle_Pistol animation, look how the hands are "holding the gun" $soldier_mecanim_vs_nonmecanim2.png . There are multiple issues like this on many of the animations, please fix this.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  48. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Hey guys,

Sorry for such a long wait, but I've now completely revamped this pack to include an updated skeleton for better Humanoid Rig support, an Avatar setup with separate upper body and head masks, an Animation Controller for full Mecanim support, and a newly created custom character controller! Also included are a few new animations, all of which are hooked up and working with mouse/keyboard, or Xbox360 support.

$Screenshot4.png

$Screenshot6.png

You can playtest the new stuff here: Webplayer Demo

49. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

just bought the pack, looks great so far, but the jump movement is broken it seems - as soon as you jump, the character speeds up and can race around the map in mid air. double jump is even worse, to the point that you can fly completely out of the demo room area. this is in an empty project / clean install - is this something other people are seeing or is something not set up properly?

The movement speed in mid-air seems to double or triple, so the character races around super fast when in mid-air. The web-player demo doesn't show this same wierdness, so not sure what the problem is or might be?

Ideas?

50. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

Even stranger - Just tried to grab a fraps movie capture of the problem and when fraps locks the framerate to 30 fps, the problem goes away. Is the jump movement speed framerate dependent? this seems very strange.