Search Unity

1. Check out our Unite Austin 2017 YouTube playlist to catch up on what you missed. More videos coming soon.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

Software to create 2D animation?

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by TremesEx, Feb 4, 2014.

1. TremesEx

TremesEx

I'm looking for a 2d animation software that works well with unity. I'm looking for something light weight, focused in animation and easy to learn without learning the rest the softwares functions.

2. arvzg

arvzg

JeevanjotSingh likes this.
  3. TremesEx

TremesEx

Base on what on i saw on spriter tutorials. You manipulate the imges to animate it, its kinda hard and im not used to it. I find this one easier to animate with bones Spine. Since im a 3d character animator.
    Now i want to know, which is mostly used 2d sprite or bone animations?

And are there any cheaper alternative to spine?

4. arvzg

arvzg

camper101 likes this.
  5. TremesEx

TremesEx

I see, so I can combine sprite and bone animation. Thanks for correcting me on that, now i know. I'm gona try this one. Its cheaper too, i might buy it if i like it.
    I like Spine for its smooth UI though i just installed it yesterday, but the price is a bit too much. thats why im looking for other alternatives

Any other 2d softwares you think i should try?

BTW does 2d animation softwares also have IK?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  6. arvzg

arvzg

Yes, it appears Spriter has some basic IK features. Have a look at this list of features:

http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter_features.htm

You don't even need to buy it if you don't need it. The free version is a fully featured license that allows you to use it for commercial projects. You can export animations PNG which is the most common file format for sprite based animations. (But you should pack them up into a packed sprite atlas using texture packer: http://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker)

Edit: Also just found this on Google, don't know anything about it but it is open source so it is free, so it might be worth a look? http://dragonbones.github.io/index.html. It appears to be targeted for Flash, but as long as it can export as image files, you can import them into Unity

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. TremesEx

TremesEx

Thanks arvzg. Im thinking of using it commercially and additional portfolio skill/material. Its good that i can use the free version for commercial but the features might not be enough. Well, time and experience will tell if i need to buy it for premium features. Right now ill just play with the free version.
    I dont like flash though, theres something in it that makes we wanna avoid it.

8. Aesadai

Aesadai

Has anyone used Synfig with Unity for 2D games? I'm comfortable with Synfig and trying to find out if there is a way to make it work with Unity.

9. arvzg

arvzg

This is the first I've ever heard of 'Synfig', but if it is able to export animation as .png (or other standard image format) frame-by-frame then there wouldn't be a problem

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

I used Smith Micro's Anime Studio on a project, and the artist really liked working with it. You can try it for free.

11. Aesadai

Aesadai

Do you think you need the pro edition?

12. TonyLi

TonyLi

We ended up using Pro for the convenience of the extra features, but we started with Debut and it worked fine. Here's the comparison chart.

13. vidi

vidi

I have CrazyTalk Animator 2 pipline version (the win Version with iClone and 3Dxchange)

http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/animator/

The special feature of this animation program, it can transfer 3D Mocap Motion to 2D sprites.

Here is a Example with a free motion from Mixamo..

14. Aesadai

Aesadai

Spriter looks really great... the only thing is that I can't seem to find good training courses, books or a master tutorial list. Can someone point me in the right direction? Willing to pay for too I just couldn't find anything.

15. UbaidUNI

UbaidUNI

16. funshark

funshark

http://www.puppet2d.com
    Directly inside Unity.

Just for your information, animating bones or sprites in a hierarchy are the same thing.
    Sprites will have a pivot which is related to another pivot, and this is basically what a bone is. ( Skin is another story )

slake_it likes this.
  17. Kiori

Kiori

I'd use puppet2D also, i have spriter and all, but the unity integration is not officially supported and quite crappy. The thing is after a while you realize that either its inside unity or its a bad idea considering all the hassle you'll go throw.
    So if you want bone animation use puppet2d.
    If you use frame animation there are lots of options, and toolkits that can help you with that. Even Gimp does frame animation.

18. rahulthepcl

rahulthepcl

You can use pencil or tupi. Both are available for all platfrom such as windows, linux and mac os and the most important thing they are lite and easy to use. You can check more at below site.

http://www.crunchytricks.com/2015/01/top-free-2d-animation-softwares-cartoon-creator.html

19. purushottam1973

purushottam1973

• Toon Boom Studio

Animation has come a long way since you drew your first stick figure flipbook in math class, and with 2D animation software, it's finally possible ...

see details
    • Anime Studio

Whether you caught the animation bug when you saw Bug Bunny ask, "What's up, Doc?" or heard the South park kids yell "They killed ...

see details
    • Regards: Computer Tricks @Purushottam Thakur

20. purushottam1973

purushottam1973

I think you read my previous comment.. Now check out my blog post to increase you blog backlinks through just commenting on real dofollow commentluv enabled blogs..

21. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I just encountered Spriter this week, because the Viking characters we bought (at GraphicRiver) for our GGJ project included Spriter files. This was really great for us, because we needed to make a couple more animations (mainly running/jumping while carrying something), which would have been pretty much impossible if we only had the PNG files. Doing the animations in Spriter was super easy — though exporting them, with the right scale and offset, was a bit maddening.

But anyway, what would have been even better would be if we could have just loaded the Spriter animations as Unity animations directly. That is, instead of loading a bunch of PNG images of the various frames, we'd have just loaded a hierarchy of body parts and the animations that make them run, jump, attack, etc. Since Spriter appears to be fairly common in the art community (both character packs we bought, from two different artists, included them), this would be a big win.

So. Does anybody know how to convert Spriter animations into Unity animations? As in, not exporting static images, but rather converting the actual rig and bone transformations?

22. orb

orb

JoeStrout likes this.
  23. ralu.apostol

ralu.apostol

Another animation tool that you could use is Marionette Studio. You can make 2D animations using a bone-based skeleton and it has IK features. It also has easing functions. This is an online based tool, so you don't have to install anything on your computer. The limitation that this software has is the fact that is pretty new. Based on their changelog it is under active development.

JoeStrout likes this.
  24. Coreystj

Coreystj

Nobody here has mentioned blender 3d for generating 2D animated sprite sheets?

very interesting...I think everyone on this forum post should have a look at Blender 3D for rendering frames. Yes I know this video demonstrates a plugin that you need to buy, but you don't need to purchase anything.

Take one camera and place it at the angles you wish, and render those frames, then use a sprite atlas generator to combine your images into a single sprite sheet.

25. ultimatetechnews

ultimatetechnews

very interesting... hope it helpful PS4 Neo

26. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Very much possible but also costs potentially much more memory than spriter as every frame needs its own dedicated frame. That's probably a thing to consider. The feel of the animations is very different, though.

27. Pamelatibb07

Pamelatibb07

I used VideoScribe, and want to know information for videoscribe works well with unity or not? I have spend six months and more in VideoScribe animation software. Now, I'm looking for something new in animation. Thanks for help.

JoeStrout likes this.
  28. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I hadn't heard of VideoScribe before; that looks really neat!

Unfortunately, no, I don't think there's much opportunity there for integration with Unity. You could take your VideoScribe movie and display it in Unity as a video texture (as with any other movie), but that's probably about it.

29. The-Britain

The-Britain

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

Anime Studio's bone animation is very good but, unless I'm mistaken, you can't export an animated bone rig and use it directly in Unity. I think you have to export it as a sprite sheet to use it in Unity. It's been about 10 years since I used it, though, and that was for Dryad, which wasn't a Unity project.

What about Unity's free Anima2D?

31. The-Britain

The-Britain

Your link doesn't work.

I ended up going with the Unity solution, I hope the animations don't end up looking too janky. From what I can tell, the personal edition of Anime Studio is crippled, and lots of tutorials reference the pro features. It will be interesting to see what this plugin can do. Thanks for your reply!

32. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sorry, that's the link to the new Asset Store that hasn't rolled out to every region yet. Try this one: Anima2D.

33. vidi

vidi

You mistaken , with the pro Version you can import even as fbx , that mean no extra plugin needed . Also you have access to all features like a 3D Object

btw Animestudio have also a Bone draw tool .
    Nice for tentacle stuff

a example with dynamic Bones in Unity

TonyLi likes this.
  34. mikeperez0110

mikeperez0110

JoeStrout likes this.
  35. Pamelatibb07

Pamelatibb07

Hey Buddy,

I recommend Anime Studio 2d animation software. It's too good and it has amazing features. I love to do work with it. Actually, I'm a movie animator and I doing work with 2d animation and 3d animation, So I know the difference between 2d and 3d animation very well. And I hope, you will like this software and love to work with it. Thanks.