Search Unity

Software is regrettably not usable.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by markt1964, Sep 11, 2015.

1. markt1964

markt1964

Simply hitting File|Save Scene causes a crash.
    Trying to change any of the external tool settings in the preferences window causes a crash
    Invoking build for linux target causes a crash

I know I'm running an unsupported distro (Slackware), but geeze.

Given that other people on unsupported distros are having success it's probably something on my system, or something not on my system, but I'm not sure how to find out what.

2. kemde10

kemde10

I agree. And software crashes without any error messages, well they happen to me when i'm doing something quick and dirty, not when i try to be serious. Especially an "experimental" build should be able to say something before it hits the ground to give the testing users the chance to get behind the fault and REPOPRT it.

I have a supported distro (Mint, which is well Ubuntu).

Will wait until Unity is able to assemble a reasonable package where i can do the basic things (like a beginners tutorial ?).

Cheers
    k

3. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

Hey o/

I know it's hard to work with an experimental build, the crashes can get quite annoying. But keep in mind, that the experimental build is still under development and they need us to test it on our systems so that they can fix the most common sources for crashes on linux. Everyone has different packages on their system, that's what makes it so difficult.

A software can be 99% finished and awesomely stable, but can still crash when there is an unexpected error. It has nothing to do with a reasonable package, it's just that software in general is pretty vulnerable to such things. I managed to get some real work done on my game in the last days and that is thanks to the experimental build. Yes, it crashed once in a while but I guess crashes are not as bad as a corrupted project or system. So you could say they've done a good job on that.

For the Error Messages.. I'd love to see a more detailed error message on crash besides the report error dialogue too. But if you take a look at ~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log (or the other log files located in there) you'll most likely see some information about your crash, feel free to post it here.

Greetings

thegigaraptor likes this.
  4. kemde10

kemde10

Hi,

well, Unity gave us the framework, a list of dependencies in a recommended environment. I would test the program if itwould give me reasonable error messages and thus the chance to find out what happens. From what i read in the editor.log there are faulty type casts and unhandled null-exceptions and probably problems with the my graphics card driver (which is a standard nvidia 346 from the repositories), but i will not change my system as i need it for other things, and the errors have already been reported a few times in the forum (will not hijack the OPs thread for that, am just supporting his statement :)).

As long as i can't even arrange the panels or browse the asset store, the program is not ready for further testing. But i'm sure to come back when the list of crash reports here in the forum gets shorter.

Maybe linux-users are more ... demanding ... ? (that was a joke)

k

5. Tak

Tak

These are all situations where we pop up a Gtk dialog - I suspect a conflict or problem with the Gtk libraries on your system.
    Did you file bug reports for your crashes? (Did the bug reporter appear?)

Check ~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log for error output.

When Unity crashes, we launch a bug reporter instance so that users can report it. Please do so.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. spacepluk

spacepluk

I think it's pretty good for a first build. I'd rather have the unity devs fixing the problems than implementing error messages that shouldn't be there in the first place.

MrWhoof and Fra123X like this.
  7. jacobgmartin

jacobgmartin

I agree with spacepluk. I think the build works amazingly well for experimental status and I am *very* encouraged by it.

Not many bugs on my end so far!

Fra123X likes this.
  8. markt1964

markt1964

Yes, the reporter appeared, and I filed a bug report for one of them. I didn't see a point for the other two, since they may very well be the same issue, given the fact that these crashes happen 100% of the time doing extremely basic things (File|Save Scene, for example, on a brand new project).

I've seen other people here using unsupported distros, so I don't think it's my distro choice. For what it's worth, I'd rather not discuss the reasons behind my preferences to not use a debian based distro here.

Understand that I'm not posting here so much to complain at the unity devs about this., nor do I want to come across as having any kind of sense of entitlement. I was imploring with them to make a Linux version of the Unity editor ever since they first announced they were going to support Linux as a build target, so I am infinitely grateful that they've gotten to this point at all. I would, however, still like very much to actually *use* the software (I hope that's not too much to ask), and I am posting here mostly out of the possibly vain hope that perhaps somebody had encountered something similar and worked around it. If not, I will have to wait at least until the next build is released to try again. As I said, for the moment, the software is quite entirely about as useful for me as a brick.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  9. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

I have to agree that the software is not ready to use as a development platform on Linux. If you are looking to make a game instead of trying and help Unity get the editor ready for Linux, than you should not use this until its stable. It has too many issues and crashes occur too frequently, from any action. I got crashes from assigning a material, crashes from moving a docked window to even putting a component on a game object through dropdown menu. Not to mention MonoDevelop doesn't open the project when you open a script, you have to find the project yourself and open it.

That being said, I wish you luck, Unity. I hope the editor becomes stable and profitable for you. I have to move on to something else.

10. markt1964

markt1964

I'd love to help Unity get this editor ready for Linux.... Sincerely. And I don't even really have a problem with the fact that the current state of the software might have a few bugs than the fact that absolutely everything that one might need to do with the software right now ends up causing a crash on my system... entirely repeatably, so about the only thing I can actually currently do with the software is launch it and read the menu choices. If I want do anything more than that, I'm looking at a crash happening. Literally the first thing I did after creating a new project caused a crash 10 seconds after I started the program. I sincerely mean no disrespect to the developers, as one myself, I genuinely know how hard it can be to make reliable software, and don't want to criticize their efforts at this juncture at all... God, I'm just too busy being grateful to them for even trying to get this going at all to want to complain at them. Right now, however, the instability of the software is so bad that I couldn't begin to conduct even the most rudimentary kind of experimentation with it, and I guess I'm more disappointed than anything else, because I had been wanting the Unity editor for Linux for so many years now, finally seeing it happen and just having it turn around and just not work for me at all is really kind of devastating, to be perfectly honest.

I have a new issue that I hadn't noticed originally, because the software was so prone to crashing, that I hadn't even gotten around to trying to do any scripting, is that launching the monodevelop editor that is bundled with Unity pops up a couple of error dialogs without crashing after launching the monodevelop application, saying something like "Error while loading style : Default", and won't open the source file no matter what I do.

I can open these files in monodevelop that I already have installed elsewhere on my system fine, but because I can't even change the External Script editor in the preferences without crashing, I have no way to connect the Unity editor to my system's already installed instance of monodevelop, and no way to know if that will even help.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

What were you seriously expecting from a release labelled as experimental? The entire point of downloading the editor in its current state is not for serious development, but rather for assisting with the process of debugging. If you grab it in its current state with the intention of using it in a production environment, then you're seriously touched in the head.

MrWhoof, alexzzzz and hippocoder like this.
  12. oceanarts

oceanarts

This is just the beginning you know... Be patient and stick around to help out with bug reports and such once in a while.

Ryiah likes this.
  13. markt1964

markt1964

Since you asked.... how about just experimenting? Because I can't actually do anything with the software beyond look at it, That's not an option for me right now, however....

I was rather hoping that somebody else who had success running it on a non-debian-based distro might offer some insight into what I might be doing wrong.

14. Fantastic Worlds Studio

Fantastic Worlds Studio

It would be nice of the things that caused crashes just didn't work right, but to have the entire editor go bye-bye with almost every action is a very bad thing indeed. I would help with the de-bugging if (look, there are 7 pages now) everything didn't make the editor crash outright.

15. rasperin

rasperin

On Kubuntu 15.04 64bit this is not only stable and fast (faster and more stable than my windows 7 install), it's actually fairly amazing. Times when I was certain it should crash it did some serious magic and just kept on running. I think a great example of this is when I switched projects, note I opened unity in konsole (just to be safe and watch error/warn logs because it's experimental. Also, guys, seriously you need more logs. Will make it easier to maintain in the long term, or maybe there is a way to increase the log level and I just haven't found it yet, I digress) and it actually assumed the application just ended. Sat there, I was sad that it finally crashed out without saying anything, top was completely clear of any unity processes, and here and behold the new project starts loading.

Seriously, magic. Just shocked. I've gone through the list of bugs I've seen on the forums and I have yet to be able to recreate this. But keep in mind I install the deb package on ubuntu system and most have been related to not ubuntu. Which leads me to ask, is there a source repository I can try this on (for my arch-linux and fbsd box, especially my fbsd box that thing is stupidly overpowered).

Likely not, but it's worth a question.

MrWhoof likes this.
  16. markt1964

markt1964

I think I may have just figured out what all of my crashes have in common....

Each of them seems to be caused when the software would be about to open up a filesystem interaction dialog, presumably to either select a file or folder at some location on disk, or else to specify a filename to save something as.

I can't be absolutely sure, of course...because it crashes before I see anything, but thinking about what I'm seeing, this makes the most sense.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, we know. The Unity developer stated as much in his earlier post in this thread. You may want to check the editor log.

18. markt1964

markt1964

Indeed, but at the same time, he also asked if the bug reporter popped up.... I confirmed in my next response that the bug reporter did pop up. I think it has less to do with just being any gtk dialog, as it appeared to me that the developer suggested at the time, and more to do with it being a file dialog, specifically.

The gtk requirements listed for Unity are libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), and I have 2.24.20, which I would expect should be fine.

That said, the editor log does seem to suggest that it was doing something with gtk at the moment of the crash, crashing in a deeply nested call to some low-level with assorted gtk functions all over what appears to be a stack trace.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Complaining about stability is not part of what this forum is for, as it says experimental on the tin. It is for assisting with great quality Linux support. Please file bug reports and feel free to discuss the workings of the product, but don't bother if it's just complaining and tantrums or ultimatums (for those that did).

Thanks.

IdleEchoes, Ryiah and ma1onso like this.
  20. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I guess, "experimental" means that UT guys are experimenting. Our turn to experiment will come with the "beta".

21. markt1964

markt1964

If I am complaining about anything, it is only that I cannot seem to participate in this experimental stage. I came here less to complain about the stability of the software and more hoping to find a solution, since other people apparently have it functioning at a far greater level than I have, and I'm entirely aware that it's probably something that is on my computer or not on my computer. I was hoping to be able to figure out what. Some people have evidently managed to get it working on non-debian systems, so I don't think that's the issue... at least not by itself.

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep, just a broad reminder as people in this thread apparently quit unity over it, which is kind of surprising but, there we go! :)

Bug reports are super valuable even if it crashes on anything, see if you can run the bug reporter separately and attach the project to it - this way, Unity gets to see your os setup and at least try to replicate it (I know you probably did but it's worth reminding any readers).

23. J780Jones

J780Jones

Maybe the requirements page should be updated... I suspect 1st generation Intel "IronLake" OpenGL 2.1 will not suffice. It seems to be the source of the problems on my laptop and possibly many others?

>glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    OpenGL extensions: